Gombe targets 1.7 million children for measles-rubella vaccination

The Gombe government says it has targeted 1.7 million children for measles-rubella vaccination in the ongoing integrated vaccination campaign.
The 2025 Integrated Rubella-Measles Campaign, scheduled to take place between October 18 and 28, is being implemented in partnership with the Gombe government, UNICEF, GAVI, and WHO.
The campaign aims to vaccinate children up to 14 years against measles and rubella, polio, HPV, and routine immunisation.
The vaccines protect children against killer diseases and have been used worldwide for over 50 years, saving millions of lives.
Abdulkarim Aliyu, immunisation officer at the Gombe State Primary Healthcare Development Agency, said this on Tuesday in Gombe, after monitoring the immunisation alongside representatives of the United Nations Children’s Fund.
He said that over 30 per cent of targeted children had been vaccinated as of day three of the exercise.
“About 1.8million doses of MR vaccines were received for Gombe state, and we are targeting 1.7 million children. For now, 481,734 children have been vaccinated as of the evening of day three.
“For the Oral Polio Vaccine, we received over one million doses, and as of the evening of day three of the campaign, 253,772 children have been reached with the vaccine,” he said.
Mr Aliyu expressed optimism that with the large turnout and low resistance witnessed so far, the state would meet its target by at least 95 per cent.
Members of the UNICEF team include Rownak Khan, deputy representative of UNICEF in Nigeria; Kabiru Shall, the immunisation manager; and Oluseyi Olosunde, health officer.
The team visited the state central cold store and those in some LGAs to monitor the vaccine management situation. They also visited some traditional leaders in the Billiri LGA to solicit their support.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

States
Wike-sanctioned Rainbow coalition pledges inclusive Rivers reconciliation
The reconciliation efforts aim to restore political harmony among stakeholders while fostering unity, progress and development across Rivers.

Anti-Corruption
Looted Wealth: Nigerians who forfeited assets to FG (1)
The asset forfeiture followed court rulings after the country’s anti-corruption agencies, especially the EFCC, pressed charges against them after investigations.

Economy
Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo
The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Anti-Corruption
Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention
“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.






