Indigenous contractors reject finance ministry’s N152 billion payment claim, say only N61 billion paid

The All-Indigenous Contractors Association of Nigeria has dismissed the claim by the finance ministry about a disbursement of ₦152 billion allegedly owed to its members for projects executed under the federal government’s 2024 budget.
Describing the claim on Thursday by the minister of state for finance, Doris Nkiruka Uzoka-Anite, as an attempt to misinform the public, AICAN national general secretary, Babatunde Seun Oyeniyi, told journalists on Tuesday that only ₦61 billion out of over ₦4 trillion owed contractors was paid.
Mr Oyeniyi said, “AICAN wishes to inform the general public and set the record straight regarding the false and misleading information recently released by the Honourable Minister of State for Finance, Dr. Doris Uzoka-Anite, and promoted by a blogger known as Dee-One.
“The claim that the Honourable Minister has paid ₦152 billion to AICAN members is completely false and misleading. Even if, for the sake of argument, such an amount had been paid (which it has not), would it be considered an achievement out of over ₦4 trillion owed by the Federal Government to contractors nationwide?
“From December 2025 to date, only ₦61 billion has been received, covering 611 companies only. The claim that AICAN has been paid ₦152 billion is false, deceptive, and intended to mislead the Nigerian public.”
Mr Oyeniyi stated that a meeting with the finance minister, Wale Edun, on December 2, 2025, witnessed the approval of ₦150 billion to settle outstanding payments but has yielded slow implementation.
He explained that 611 out of 786 companies submitted for batch payments were finalised, totaling ₦61.5 billion, while 175 other companies are yet to receive payment due to issues pertaining to review, approval, and documentation.
Advising against the false claim by the ministry, which may have a negative effect on ongoing reconciliation efforts and dampen their confidence in the government, Mr Oyeniyi warned that the failure to release all approved payments and sign outstanding warrants will worsen the financial strain on contractors, thereby delaying project delivery and job retention.
The association had, in a protest last Monday and Tuesday, blocked the entrance to the finance ministry in Abuja, preventing Mrs Uzoka-Anite from entering the complex, prompting security personnel to fire a shot into the air to disperse the demonstrators.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Ajayi scores as Hull City stun Manchester United in EPL opener
Ajayi opened the scoring for the Tigers in the 17th minute.

Heading 4
Tinubu appoints tax czar Zacch Adedeji as 2027 campaign ‘fundraising deputy director’
Mr Adedeji will join other politicians in raising funds for Mr Tinubu’s re-election bid.

Abuja
FCTA trains health workers on basic life support to improve emergency care
She explained that the participants would share the knowledge gained with their colleagues.

Health
Insecticide resistance, climate change worsening malaria fight, says expert
According to him, mosquitoes remain one of the most significant public health threats globally.

World
Fleeing crime group members extradited, jailed over 2020 murder of Nigerian teen in UK
The four convicts were members of the Oldham-based Representing the Danger (RTD) organised crime gr

World
Suspect arrested for allegedly shooting female resident in U.S. neighbourhood
The police said the weapon, a Sig Sauer 380 handgun, was recovered at the scene.






