INEC’s stance on ADC leadership may stop party from presenting candidates in 2027: Spokesperson

The opposition party, Africa Democratic Congress (ADC), on Monday, raised alarm over plots by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to stop the party from fielding candidates in the 2027 general elections
In a statement posted on X (formerly Twitter), the party’s spokesperson, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the allegation was based on documentary evidence, including certified INEC records, attendance logs, monitoring reports, and excerpts from the commission’s affidavit.
“We are compelled to raise serious concerns about a developing situation that appears designed to prevent the African Democratic Congress (ADC) from fielding candidates in the upcoming elections,” Mr Abdullahi said.
He noted that INEC had earlier received formal notice of the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting held on July 29, 2025, monitored the proceedings, and subsequently updated its records to reflect the new leadership.
“Following this, INEC updated its internal records and uploaded the names of the new leadership, including Senator David Mark as National Chairman and Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola as National Secretary. These are not claims. They are facts contained in INEC’s own records,” he said.
Mr Abdullahi further cited INEC’s affidavit before the Federal High Court in response to a suit filed by Nafiu Bala Gombe, stating that the commission had affirmed that the leadership transition was completed and recognised.
According to him, the commission has, however, taken a contradictory position by refusing to receive correspondence from the party pending the court’s determination of the matter.
“INEC has now taken the position that it will no longer receive any correspondence from the ADC pending the determination of a matter before the Federal High Court. This is where the contradiction becomes dangerous,” he added.
He argued that the decision could prevent the party from complying with electoral timelines, including the submission deadline set by INEC.
“By refusing to receive communication from the ADC within this same period, the Commission is effectively preventing the party from complying with the law,” he said, adding that the situation could lead to the exclusion of the party from the electoral process.
“In simple terms, INEC is effectively threatening that unless the courts deliver judgment on the ADC leadership issue by May 10, it will prevent the ADC from producing candidates. This places the ADC in an impossible position,” he stated.
The party called on INEC to reverse its position and resume accepting correspondence from the ADC.
“We therefore call on the Commission to immediately reverse this position, resume the acceptance of all lawful correspondence from the ADC, and uphold its constitutional responsibility to ensure a level playing field for all political parties,” he said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.

World
Russia’s drone attack kills five, injures 52 in Ukraine
Mr Zelenskyy stated that all the injured victims were receiving the necessary medical care.

Anti-Corruption
ICPC uncovers another fake agency operating in Tinubu’s govt
Mr Aliyu said the fake agency was discovered during ongoing investigations into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council.






