Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Interpol declares CEO of SEC-approved Addy Ltd wanted for multibillion-naira investment fraud

Interpol section of the Nigerian Police Force has declared Nigerian businessman Adams Uju wanted for duping investors of over N52 million and $28,000, respectively.

• November 1, 2021
Adoms Uju of Addy
Adoms Uju of Addy

The Interpol section of the Nigerian Police Force has declared Nigerian businessman Adams Uju wanted for duping investors N52 million and $28,000, respectively, part of a multibillion-naira fraud he has been accused of by victims. 

A warrant of arrest issued for Mr Uju, 42, by the Lagos Division of the Federal High Court stated that he defrauded victims through his company, Addy Finance & Investment Limited, registered under the Fund Managers Association of Nigeria (FMAN).

“He is wanted by the police for the offence of obtaining money under false pretence and investment fraud in Addy Finance & Investment Limited with the sum of fifty-two million naira only and twenty-eight thousand dollars respectively,” a notice issued by the Interpol stated.

Document

FMAN represents the interest of all Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) registered Funds and Portfolio Managers in Nigeria.

CHIVE GPS, an intelligence research analysis firm based in Lagos, initiated the petition on behalf of the victims.

An intelligence research analysis firm based in Lagos.

He was declared wanted following a June 28 petition by Charles Mba and other investors. They transferred the funds into Mr Uju’s company account after seeing an investment advert on the Internet, including social media platforms.

The total amount involved in the alleged fraud was unclear, but sources said Mr Uju fleeced his victims to the tune of billions of naira.

Mr Uju, however, through his company, did not pay back the investors’ fund and the expected returns on investment.

“Oblivious of the fraud ahead, our clients transferred the sum of fifty-two million naira and twenty-eight thousand dollars respectively at various times into the account of Addy Finance. The so-called investment was supposed to last for six months. However, Adoms of Addy Finance failed to pay them back the invested capital or return on investment and elected to be evasive,” the petition stated.

The victims argued that even though the company had been certified by the Securities and Exchange Commission, it is an organised Ponzi scheme packaged as a legitimate business. 

“We believe this was simply an organised Ponzi scheme, packaged and promoted as a legitimate business, targeted at Nigerians all over the country who believed the falsehood of Adoms,” the victims added. 

Temitope Moshood, a representative of FMAN, told The Gazette that they were aware of the matter but said SEC should be contacted for comments.

Earlier in June, some investors yet to receive their return on investment took to the company’s Twitter page to lament their inability to log in to the platform, claiming that Addy Finance has also cut off other forms of communication.

However, on June 18, a user identified as @Rhymmz shared a screenshot of a message he received from the company.

“Kindly note that the delay in payment right now is due to the fact that our accounts has been put on PND (post no debit) because of the petition written by some investors, hence payment cannot be made for now,” it said.

SEC had in April cautioned Nigerians against investing in unregistered online platforms claiming to be operating in partnership with Capital Market Operators registered with the commission. But the commission is now silent when told by The Gazette that Mr Uju registered his business with the regulator.

“The attention of the SEC has been drawn to the existence of several providers of online investment and trading platforms which purportedly facilitate direct access of the investing public in the Federal Republic of Nigeria to securities of foreign companies listed on Securities Exchanges registered in other jurisdictions,” SEC said in a circular addressed to Capital Market Operators.

“These platforms also claim to be operating in partnership with Capital Market operators (CMOs) registered with the Commission,” the statement said.

SEC’s spokeswoman Efe Ebelo, when contacted by The Gazette, declined to comment on the matter, requesting some time to speak on the matter. She had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report. 

In recent months, several investors have been accused of defrauding investors of multi-million naira and being on the run.

Peoples Gazette in August reported that a couple of entrepreneurs, Gloria Igberaese and Muyiwa Folorunsho, were declared wanted by Interpol over their involvement in multi-million dollar investment fraud.

The entrepreneurs are said to be the CEOs of Divergent Enterprise operating businesses such as Landlagos, PorkMoney, Hyberfactory, and Porkoyum, among other companies that they allegedly used to fleece thousands of Nigerians in a slew of Ponzi schemes linked to them.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Court

States

Two Ogun men jailed seven years each for belonging to secret cults

The magistrate said the evidence presented by the prosecution was tenable.

World

Nine die in India hotel fire

Authorities said a child and five Bangladeshi nationals from the same family were killed in the fire.

Ukrainian soldiers

World

103 Ukrainian soldiers back home from Russia’s captivity, says Zelensky

“I am grateful to the team that works every day to secure the release of our people,” he stated.

ICPC officials

Anti-Corruption

ICPC begins tracking of N1billion FG projects in Osun

Ms Oke said the exercise was part of the commission’s mandate to promote accountability and transparency in the implementation of public projects.

Glasgow police

World

Police probe murder of two men in Glasgow apartment

The police said a knife was believed to have been used to commit the murder.

Nick Kyrgios.

World

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive for cocaine

Mr Kyrgios said, “I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”