Journalist languishes in jail 100 days after arrest for reporting Gov. Abiodun’s U.S. crimes

The detention of Olamilekan Hammed, journalist and publisher of eaglesforesight.com.ng, has now entered its 100th day at the Maximum Correctional Centre, Ibara Abeokuta, as he struggles to vary his stringent bail conditions.
The City of Miami Police Department in the United States filed criminal charges against Dapo Abiodun in 1986, according to released police files seen by Peoples Gazette.
Mr Hammed was arrested on May 13 after honouring an invitation by the State Security Service (SSS) over publishing stories detailing records of criminal activities perpetrated by the Ogun governor in the U.S.
The SSS had secretly held him for days before he was arraigned at the State High Court, where he was remanded in prison custody after being granted bail under stringent conditions.
In the bail ruling, Mr Hammed was ordered to provide N3 million with two sureties (N1 million each). One of the sureties must be a civil servant on Grade Level 15 in the federal, state or local government area within the Abeokuta metropolis and the other an owner of an established business within Abeokuta, and the two sureties must be owners of properties in the area.
During the questioning by SSS, he was forced to pull down his story, according to his lawyer, Festus Ogun, who added that the journalist had been subjected to continuous harassment, torture, abuse and intimidation.
Civil societies, including the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), have condemned Mr Hammed’s arrest.
Last May, a few days after the journalist’s arrest, his lawyer said, “Mr Hammed, since arrested, has continued to face unjust harassment, torture and intimidation for merely doing his job as a citizen journalist after being forced to pull down the story from his website.”
Mr Ogun added, “The public must observe the continuous desecration of the sacred principles of fair trial and right to legal representation by state agents incited by Mr Abiodun in an attempt to remedy his disgraceful past.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
NSE calls for engineering innovation to tackle Nigeria’s security challenges
The chairman urged young engineers to embrace continuous professional development.

States
Ex-lawmaker decries attacks on APC chieftain Igbokwe’s Anambra residence
He described the vandalisation of Mr Igbokwe’s residence as unacceptable.

Lagos
NDLEA destroys N301 billion worth of cocaine, others in Lagos
The drugs were destroyed on Monday following a court order.

States
Police arraign man for alleged N1.8 million motorcycle theft
The prosecutor said the defendant and one other suspect, still at large, committed the offence on August 7 in Ado-Ekiti.

States
Kwara unveils roadmap to tackle viral hepatitis
Kwara State government on Monday inaugurated a comprehensive viral hepatitis elimination roadmap.

Lagos
Lagos police arraign three men over alleged N1.9 million theft
The magistrate adjourned the case until September 2 for mention.






