Kogi School Abduction: Troops have blocked exit points, tracking gunmen to rescue victims, says commander

Commander of the 21 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, Lt. Col. Godiya Solomon Monde, has said troops have blocked suspected exit points and working to rescue the victims abducted from a secondary school in Kogi State.
The Peoples Gazette earlier reported that gunmen invaded Government Secondary School, Odo-Ekina, in the Dekina Local Government Area of the state and abducted the principal, a National Examinations Council (NECO) official and students sitting the ongoing examination on Tuesday.
Speaking in a video interview by News Central TV, Mr Monde said troops responded immediately after receiving a distress call about the attack at 3:00 p.m.
He said, “We have blocked all the suspected crossing points where we expect them to move with those children to. Two students were kidnapped, including the principal and the supervisor that came for the NECO exam.”
Mr Monde said four people were being held by the gunmen, adding that security operatives were tracking the gunmen.
“They’ve made some calls so far. We are tracking them to see where they are. I’m assuring you, we’re going to rescue the victims,” he said.
The development comes after the Kogi State Government said that it had mobilised a massive security operation to secure the release of the school principal, NECO official and the students abducted during an attack in the Dekina Local Government Area of the state.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






