Kwara Massacre: Two months on, Woro, Nuku kidnap victims still missing

Two months after terrorists attacked residents of Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, families of abducted victims say they remain in the dark over the fate of their loved ones.
The victims are still being held by suspected Boko Haram members.
According to family sources, the abductors have neither established contact nor made any ransom demands.
Peoples Gazette earlier reported that about 170 casualties were recorded in the incident, according to lawmaker Sa’idu Ahmed.
Abubakar Ibrahim, a survivor of the February 3, 2026, attack, recounted how he narrowly escaped death by hiding while the assailants killed his sons during the raid.
Mr Ibrahim told The Gazette on Saturday that his wife and six children were among those abducted by the attackers. He lamented that two months after the incident, there had been no communication from the kidnappers.
“I lost two of my younger brothers, Kado and Isah, during the attack, while six members of my family were kidnapped,” he said.
He added that the community has since been deserted, with many residents fleeing for safety, stressing that the lack of communication from authorities has worsened their fears.
“We are worried about the absence of communication between the government and us regarding efforts to rescue the victims,” he said.
Young children among abductees as families cry for help
Mohammed Abdulkarim, whose young child was abducted during the raid in Woro, said families have been left in anguish since the incident.
“The child is just about two years old and has barely started talking. The only word he says is ‘Daddy’,” Mr Abdulkarim said.
He expressed frustration over the silence from government authorities.
Over 170 people were kidnapped, and we don’t know what is happening. We are not concerned about palliatives; we want information and action from the government,” he added.
Another survivor, Sadiq Musa, who narrowly escaped the attack, said children make up a significant number of those abducted.
“We have not heard anything from the government about our children. It has been two months now, and there is no information,” he said.
Mr Musa added that he lost one of his sons, a secondary school student, during the attack, while two other children were taken by the attackers.
“We need the federal government to rescue the abducted victims. People are living in fear, and many are developing health issues due to the trauma,” he said.
Following the attack, residents fled the affected communities to seek refuge in safer areas. The affected families are now calling on the government to urgently intervene and secure the release of those still held in captivity.
The Police spokesperson in the state, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi (SP), told The Gazette on Sunday that the team is working to rescue the abducted victims from the terrorists.
“The effort is ongoing to rescue the kidnapped victims. The Nigerian police, alongside the military, are on the ground to rescue the victims,” she said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.

World
Russia’s drone attack kills five, injures 52 in Ukraine
Mr Zelenskyy stated that all the injured victims were receiving the necessary medical care.

Anti-Corruption
ICPC uncovers another fake agency operating in Tinubu’s govt
Mr Aliyu said the fake agency was discovered during ongoing investigations into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council.






