Lagos: New Carter bridge at procurement stage, says minister
The minister of works, Dave Umahi, says the construction of a new Carter Bridge in Lagos is now at the procurement stage.
Mr Umahi gave the assurance on Friday during the inauguration of the 47.474-kilometre Section One, Phase One of the Lagos–Calabar Coastal Highway in Lagos.
He said the government reached the decision for a new bridge after carrying out technical assessments and engaging stakeholders.
“After empirical evaluation and meeting with stakeholders, the answer is that we have to build a new bridge.
“The procurement is coming, and people may wonder why we are surfacing it now. It is because I love Lagosians,” he said.
Mr Umahi said that the existing Carter Bridge is linked to the Iddo Bridge, which had earlier collapsed, adding that work was ongoing on that structure.
The minister also said work was progressing on the seventh axial road being handled by China Harbour Engineering Company at a cost of 266 million dollars, funded by China Exim Bank.
He added that the 184-kilometre Ife–Ibadan–Ilesha concrete road awarded to SPECC at N443 billion had achieved more than 20 per cent progress.
According to him, government has also reviewed the 256-kilometre Ilesha–Akure–Benin corridor and found it to be in poor condition.
“Who can do this work? Only the giants—Hitech Construction Company Ltd. We have co-opted them, and we have asked them to begin work.
“The total project is about N756 billion but it will be executed in phases,” he said.
Speaking on the Third Mainland Bridge, Mr Umahi said the ongoing repair works should not cause panic.
He said the bridge had been closed to heavy traffic and that extensive repairs were being carried out above the water.
He added that this was while procurement processes were ongoing for underwater rehabilitation to extend the bridge’s lifespan by another 50 years.
Mr Umahi said the four legacy projects of President Bola Tinubu’s administration would impact all parts of the country and that the government remained committed to completing them.
He added that the administration welcomed constructive criticism.
“We are human and bound to make mistakes, but our good is over 95 per cent. The economy is returning. God is on the throne,” he said.
On security, he said God was using the Tinubu-led administration to tackle the challenges, adding that the nation would overcome them.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices
Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
NationWide
2027: Politics must not undermine Nigeria’s national unity, APC chairman Yilwatda says
“I urge Nigerians to see our diversity not as a weakness, but as a source of strength. As we approach another electoral season, we must reject division and violence,” he said.
World
Ukraine embassy marks 35th independence anniversary, reaffirms struggle for freedom
Mr Kholostenko described it as a day that embodied the Ukrainian people’s enduring struggle for freedom, statehood and the right to determine their own future.
States
Police arrest two suspected kidnappers in Ondo
Police arrested two suspected kidnappers in connection with the abduction of a man, Abubakar Abdullahim, in Ondo State.
States
Security forces kill six suspected secessionists in Anambra
The Commissioner of Police in Anambra, Nnanna Ama, said a joint security team comprising the army, navy, police, SSS, and local vigilantes conducted the operation.
Heading 5
People exploiting actor Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ Hassan’s illness to make money, daughter alleges
Ms Taiwo said some Nigerians are exploiting her father’s ailment to make money.
States
2027: Loyalty to Tinubu, APC non-negotiable, says Ondo reconciliation committee
Dele Olanubi, the committee secretary, said members who left the APC to contest elective offices on other parties’ platforms had forfeited their membership.






