Lagos: Two men arraigned for stealing bag of rice

The police on Monday arraigned two men before the Badagry Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for stealing a bag of rice.
The defendants, Agbo Agbonopo, 20, and Salisu Abubakar, 25, whose addresses were not stated, are standing trial on charges bordering on stealing.
They each, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The prosecutor, Edet Ekpo, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on February 2, at about 2:30 p.m., in the Gbaji area of the Seme border in Badagry.
Mr Ekpo alleged that the defendants conspired to steal one bag of rice valued at N58,000 belonging to one Francis Adeyemi, a nominal complainant.
He alleged that the defendants were arrested while planning to sell the bag of rice and were consequently handed over to the police.
The chief magistrate, Nurudeen Layeni, granted the defendants bail of N500,000 each, with two sureties each in the like sum.
He held that one of the sureties must be a community leader.
Mr Layeni adjourned the case until March 4 for mention.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday
Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.

States
24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno
The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.






