Lassa fever resurfaces in Ondo, Edo, Bauchi

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention says it recorded 14 new confirmed cases with one death following the outbreak of Lassa fever in Ondo, Edo and Bauchi.
NCDC director-general Jide Idris disclosed this in an interview with journalists on Tuesday in Abuja.
Mr Idris said that cases were recorded in the three states between May 6 and May 12 this year, adding that people between the ages of 31 and 40 were predominantly affected by the disease.
The NCDC boss said in 2024, 28 states out of 36 recorded at least one confirmed case spread across 125 local government areas.
“64 per cent of all the confirmed cases were from the three states of Ondo, Edo, and Bauchi, while 36 per cent were reported from 25 states. Of the 64 per cent of these confirmed cases, Ondo accounted for 25 per cent, Edo 22 per cent, and Bauchi 17 per cent,’’ he said.
The agency said that the National Lassa Fever Multi-Partner, Multi-Sectoral Incident Management System had been activated to coordinate response at all Emergency Operation Centre levels.
Mr Idris highlighted some challenges in the fight against Lassa fever. He added that late reporting of cases and poor health-seeking behaviour were key in the clinical management of the disease.
The NCDC boss noted that every individual, irrespective of age, is susceptible to Lassa fever, stressing the need for caution to avoid the devastating effects.
“The virus, transmitted through contact with rat excreta or infected individuals, poses a significant risk to public health. Setting traps to eliminate rats within households is nice. This proactive step reduces the risk of exposure to infected rodents.
“Refrain from handling rats, whether dead or alive, with bare hands. This simple precautionary measure significantly minimises the chance of infection. Exercise caution when consuming food items or fruits that may have been exposed to rats or that rats might have access to,” he said.
Mr Idris said by avoiding such items, individuals could mitigate the risk of ingesting contaminated food sources.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting
The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

World
Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling
A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

Heading 5
Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer
The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Heading 2
Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital
The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.






