Lawmaker seeks monarchs’ intervention in bloody Ondo communal clash

A federal lawmaker representing Akoko South/East and South/West Federal Constituency of Ondo State in the National Assembly, Gboyega Adefarati, has asked traditional rulers in the region to intervene in the communal clash between the indigenes of Owake and Ebo communities in Oke Oka.
The clash had claimed the lives of two persons after youths in the communities engaged in a heavy fight over boundary issues.
Property which included the palace of Asin of Oka-Odo and an event hall, worth millions of naira, were destroyed during the communal clash that turned the two communities into a ghost town over fear of reprisals.
In a message on Tuesday, Mr Adefarati expressed shock and dismay at the loss of lives and level of property destruction in the fight between the two communities.
The federal lawmaker, in a copy of the message by his spokesperson, Oluwole Ehinola, asked the traditional rulers and security agencies to ensure a quick resolution of the conflict.
Mr Adefarati, who described the fight between the two communities as “the most unimaginable and dastardly act that a man can commit,” empathised with families of those who lost loved ones and valuables to the crisis.
“I received the news of the violent communal clash between Owake and Ebo communities in Iwaro-Oka, which has reportedly claimed lives, maimed several people, destroyed houses and plantations, with rude shock and discomfort. I sympathise with the families that lost their loved ones and those who lost valuables to the crisis and I called on security agents, traditional and religious leaders to intervene and ensure quick rapprochement between or among the warring communities. Peace, we desire!,” the statement read.
He appealed to the two communities to lay down their arms and embrace peace in the interest of development and growth.
The state Commissioner of Police, Wilfred Afolabi, said that a team led by a DCP had been deployed to the affected two communities to restore peace and calm the situation.
Mr Afolabi, in a statement by the police commands spokesperson, Funmilayo Odunlami-Omisanya, urged the communities to seek peaceful resolutions to their disputes to avoid further loss of lives and property. .
“A police team, led by the deputy commissioner of police (DCP Ops), has been deployed to the area to restore peace and prevent further escalation,” a part of the statement read.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






