Many injured in Kwara as protest breaks out over use of hijab in Baptist High School

A number of persons on Thursday sustained various degrees of injuries as protest over the use of hijab thickened in Oyun Baptist High School, Ijagbo, in Oyun Local Government Area of Kwara.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a man in his early 20s was seen being rushed to a nearby hospital after he was reportedly shot at.
Recall that the use of hijab had generated controversy in some missionary schools in the state over the past few months.
The State Government had on January 25, directed management of schools in the state to allow the use of hijab by willing Muslims without forcing it on anyone or turning them back for using it.
Some Muslim parents and their wards were seen on major streets of Ilorin Wednesday protesting against the management of Oyun Baptist High School for turning back some students for wearing hijab.
A government delegation, led by the Commissioner for Education, Sa’adatu Kawu, had twice visited the school to resolve the matter.
Another delegation led by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mohammed Saifudeen, also visited the town for the same reason on Thursday.
Fracas however erupted on Thursday when some Muslim parents stormed the school premises to protest the rejection of their wards and members by the school.
Eye witnesses said the protest later degenerated into violence when an unidentified man rushed to the school to inform other protesters of a machete cut.
This triggered an angry reaction from the Muslim protesting parents as they looked around for various weapons to defend themselves, but the police swiftly dispatched them.
The police fired warning shots into the air and also used teargas to dispatch the protesters as unidentified persons from inside the school were seen throwing missiles at those outside the premises.
Normalcy was however restored by a combined team of police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
Confirming the development, the Public Relations Officer of the Kwara Police Command, Ajayi Okasanmi, said security personnel had been deployed to the scene to restore peace.
Mr Okasanmi stated that normalcy has returned to the school and that security operatives would remain there until the area was safe for the residents.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
Former Arsenal star Patrick Vieira appointed as Senegal’s new head coach
Vieira succeeds former manager Pape Thiaw.

States
Gombe govt approves N260 million for relocation of grain market
According to him, moving the grain market to Dukku Road is expected to reduce traffic congestion.

Rights
NAPTIP seeks media, government agencies’ collaboration to end SGBV in Nigeria
Ms Bello said SGBV remained one of the most common human rights violations in Nigeria.

Sport
FULL LIST : FIFA names Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON
Ngock was named Player of the Tournament following Cameroon’s historic victory against Malawi.

States
Ebonyi: PDP governorship candidate urges residents to embrace peace ahead of 2027 electionsÂ
The governorship candidate stressed that political differences should not be allowed to degenerate into violence.

Africa
Sudan, South Sudan revive security talks after defence minister’s visit
The minister said continued cooperation between Sudan and South Sudan was important to maintaining stability.






