Mason Greenwood rearrested, charged with attempted rape, assault

The trial of Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has been scheduled to begin next week, with his first appearance Monday, October 17, at the Greater Manchester magistrates’ court.
This announcement came after the The Crown Prosecution officially authorised the Greater Manchester police to charge Greenwood with counts ranging from attempted rape to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Janet Potter, the Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West confirmed the development on Saturday, October 15.
“The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm,” Potter said.
She added that, “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.”
“The defendant’s first court appearance will take place on Monday 17 October at Greater Manchester magistrates’ court.”
Greenwood, 21, was arrested in January, after his girlfriend posted a series of video, photos, and audio recording evidence accusing him of assaulting her.
Greenwood can be heard in one of the videos telling the woman that he wants to have sex with her despite several refusals by her. The woman subsequently deleted the posts.
On the same day, United announced that the then 20-year-old had been suspended by the club indefinitely.
The England international was arrested by the Greater Manchester Police on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman. Greenwood was again rearrested the following day on suspicion of sexual assault and threat to life.
Greenwood had been on bail since, while investigations continued, before news came out today that he has been rearrested for contacting his victim.
He is said to have broken his bail conditions by contacting the victim.
“Greater Manchester Police are aware of an allegation regarding a 21-year-old man breaching his bail conditions and an arrest has been made on Saturday 15 October 2022. Enquiries are ongoing at this time,” the police spokesman said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11
Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport
Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title
Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

NationWide
Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits
The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States
Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire
The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz
Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office
Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres







