Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Museveni’s son shuts down two Ugandan media outlets

“In Uganda, I do not believe in a free press! The press should be guided by cadres of the revolution,” he said.

• June 28, 2026
Muhoozi Kainerugaba
Muhoozi Kainerugaba

Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the head of Uganda’s military and son of President Yoweri Museveni, has said that he does not believe in a free press in Uganda.

Mr Kainerugaba made the statement in an X post on Sunday, shortly after announcing the shutdown of NTV Uganda and Daily Monitor, two media outlets owned by Nation Media Group Uganda.

“In Uganda, I do not believe in a free press! The press should be guided by cadres of the revolution. NTV and Monitor are being shut down from today!”, he wrote on his X page.

He said the two media outlets would not reopen without his permission, adding that all media organisations in the country must follow the rules.

“I have the power in Uganda to shut down any media house I want to. I have had this power since 2017. This power was given to me by my great father, President @KagutaMuseveni. NTV and Daily Monitor are learning about it today.

“I hear both NTV and Daily Monitor are losing $5 million a day from my closure. That’s good news for me,” he said.

Mr Kainerugaba later said the two outlets had been permanently shut down, warning that more media organisations could face similar action.

“NTV and Daily Monitor are closed for good! The closure of NTV and Monitor is just the beginning. We are going to arrest many more,” the president’s son said.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Nation Media Group Uganda informed readers, viewers, listeners and stakeholders that its premises in Namuwongo and at the Kampala Serena International Conference Centre had become inaccessible following an overnight military raid.

“The raid, carried out at about 1:00 a.m. on Sunday, June 28, resulted in electricity disconnection and disruption of normal operations across our platforms on radio, TV and newspapers,” its memo read.

The media company added that although its offices remained closed, it would continue serving audiences through its digital platforms.

Mr Museveni was declared the winner of January’s poll, extending his 40-year grip on power for another five years.

According to the electoral commission, chaired by Simon Byabakama, Mr Museveni secured 72 per cent of the votes, while his main challenger, Bobi Wine, polled 25 per cent.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

HOSPITAL

States

Stakeholders seek quick reform of state public health laws

Mr Danjuma described the initiative as a major milestone in strengthening public health legal preparedness.

Court

States

Two Ogun men jailed seven years each for belonging to secret cults

The magistrate said the evidence presented by the prosecution was tenable.

World

Nine die in India hotel fire

Authorities said a child and five Bangladeshi nationals from the same family were killed in the fire.

Ukrainian soldiers

World

103 Ukrainian soldiers back home from Russia’s captivity, says Zelensky

“I am grateful to the team that works every day to secure the release of our people,” he stated.

ICPC officials

Anti-Corruption

ICPC begins tracking of N1billion FG projects in Osun

Ms Oke said the exercise was part of the commission’s mandate to promote accountability and transparency in the implementation of public projects.

Glasgow police

World

Police probe murder of two men in Glasgow apartment

The police said a knife was believed to have been used to commit the murder.