National Convention: Buhari holds closed-door meeting with APC chairmanship aspirants
President Muhammadu Buhari has met behind closed doors with all All Progressives Congress chairmanship aspirants during its forthcoming national convention on March 26.
Sunday Aghaeze, the personal assistant to the president (Photography), confirmed this development in pictorial reports late Wednesday evening.
The aspirants were led by the interim national chairman of the party’s Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Committee (CECC), Governor Mai Mala Buni.
The aspirants included George Akume, Tanko Al-makura, Sani Musa, Abdullahi Adamu, Mohammed Saidu-Estu, Abdulaziz Yari and Ali Modu.
The secretary to the government of the federation, Boss Mustapha and the chief of staff to the president, Ibrahim Gambari, also attended the meeting.
Mr Buhari had earlier met behind closed doors with APC governors over the forthcoming convention.
The governors were led to the meeting by Mr Buni.
However, the Progressive Governors’ Forum chairman, Governor Atiku Bagudu, spoke to State House correspondents at the end of the meeting.
According to Mr Bagudu, the governors will support Mr Buhari’s preferred aspirant. He also disclosed that the governors agreed to support any process that would lead to a consensus.
Last month, Mr Buhari said he was in favour of the consensus mode for selecting candidates for the party’s national positions. He had urged the governors to explore the option of consensus.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Many state governors are said to owe primary school teachers and secondary schools months of salary arrears.
The illegal structures erected in swampy areas were inhabited by over 1,000 petty traders, comprising young men, women, middle aged and the old.
A letter of warning was also issued to two officers while four were exonerated.
The governor told the commissioners that they were appointed not to make money but to serve the people.
The ex-AC Milan winger was sentenced to nine years in prison in Italy for allegedly raping a woman in a discotheque with five other men in 2013.