NCDC: Lassa fever kills 172 people in Nigeria

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention says 172 deaths have been recorded from Lassa fever in 21 states. This represents a case fatality rate of 18.6 per cent, higher than the 17 per cent recorded during the same period in 2024.
In its Lassa Fever Situation Report for Week 40 (September 29 to October 5), the agency said 924 confirmed cases and 8,041 suspected cases had been reported from 106 LGAs.
It said Ondo, Bauchi, Edo, Taraba, and Ebonyi accounted for 90 per cent of all confirmed cases, with Ondo alone responsible for 35 per cent.
The centre said that the report indicated that confirmed cases rose from four in Week 39 to 13 in Week 40, all recorded in Ondo.
The NCDC noted that the predominant age group affected was 21 to 30 years, with a male-to-female ratio of 1:0.8. It also added that no new healthcare worker infections were reported during the week under review.
It attributed the high fatality rate to the late presentation of cases and poor health-seeking behaviour among residents of high-burden communities.
It listed poor environmental sanitation and low awareness as factors driving infections.
To strengthen response efforts, the NCDC said it had deployed 10 national rapid response teams to affected states using a One Health approach.
It added that ongoing activities include training healthcare workers, conducting risk communication campaigns, and distributing response commodities such as Ribavirin, PPEs, and thermometers to treatment centres.
According to it, other interventions include the ongoing INTEGRATE clinical trial in Ondo, capacity-building workshops for clinicians, and environmental health campaigns in high-burden states.
The NCDC urged states to strengthen community engagement on prevention and improve early case detection and referral.
It also called on healthcare workers to maintain a high index of suspicion for Lassa fever and initiate timely treatment to reduce deaths.
The Lassa fever is a viral haemorrhagic disease endemic in Nigeria, spread mainly through contact with food or household items contaminated by infected rats.
It can also spread person-to-person, especially in hospitals without strict infection control. The illness causes fever, weakness, vomiting, bleeding, and, in severe cases, organ failure.
Nigeria records the highest global burden, with most cases from Ondo, Edo, Bauchi, Taraba, and Ebonyi.
It peaks in the dry season, December–April, and has a high fatality rate, especially when patients present late.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

States
Wike-sanctioned Rainbow coalition pledges inclusive Rivers reconciliation
The reconciliation efforts aim to restore political harmony among stakeholders while fostering unity, progress and development across Rivers.

Anti-Corruption
Looted Wealth: Nigerians who forfeited assets to FG (1)
The asset forfeiture followed court rulings after the country’s anti-corruption agencies, especially the EFCC, pressed charges against them after investigations.

Economy
Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo
The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Anti-Corruption
Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention
“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.






