Newsmax fined $67 million over claim 2020 poll rigged for Biden

Newsmax has agreed to pay $67 million to Dominion Voting Systems for airing reports that falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged to favour Democratic candidate, Joe Biden.
Two years after Fox News shelled out $787 million in a settlement over false reports suggesting Donald Trump lost the 2020 polls because voting machines had been tampered with, Newsmax was facing the same ordeal.
Dominion Voting System sued Newsmax for disseminating false information that the company manipulated the polls to rob Mr Trump of a second presidential term.
Judge Eric M Davies of Delaware Superior Court in April determined that Newsmax broadcast defamatory content that “would likely cause reasonable viewers to think significantly less favourably about Dominion than if the viewers knew the truth.”
The case was scheduled to go to trial in October, where it would be further determined whether or not Newsmax acted with “actual malice” and could be subsequently fined for damages.
The media organisation, in a bid to avoid trial, instead opted for a settlement to pay tens of millions of dollars to the voting machine-makers. Newsmax already paid $27 million and has pledged to pay $40 million over a period of two years.
“We are pleased to have settled this matter,” a Dominion spokesperson said in a brief statement on Monday without elaborating.
The news organisation insisted that it was innocent of defamation, claiming reports followed professional journalistic standards.
“Newsmax believed it was critically important for the American people to hear both sides of the election disputes that arose in 2020,” the news company said in a statement. “We stand by our coverage as fair, balanced, and conducted within professional standards of journalism.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Netizens react as Asake flaunts multimillion-naira Louis Vuitton trunk
Netizens have reacted after Asake flaunted a trunk showcasing an ultra-luxury Louis Vuitton collection reportedly worth N93 million.

Health
Gwarzo council sponsors 20 women for free midwifery training
Gwarzo council area in Kano has sponsored 20 women for free midwifery training.

States
Kano govt urges residents to obtain permits before erecting buildings
KNUPDA has urged residents to obtain building permits before construction to prevent building collapse and protect lives and property.

Showbiz
Wande Coal, Davido clash over unreleased collaboration ‘Come My Way’
Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration, ‘Come My Way’.

Africa
Xenophobic Attacks: 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa arrive in Lagos on Wednesday
The foreign affairs ministry says a new batch of 83 Nigerian returnees from South Africa will arrive in the country on Wednesday.

States
Police nab suspected hoodlum, recover firearm in Akwa Ibom
The police command in Akwa Ibom says it has apprehended a suspected hoodlum and recovered a locally made single-barrel gun in the process.






