Friday, August 21, 2026

Nigerian authorities trying to cover up killing of civilians in Kaduna drone attack: Amnesty International

Mr Sanusi said the contradictory explanations from the military showed their efforts to sweep the incident under the carpet.

• December 11, 2023
Amnesty International
Amnesty International

Amnesty International Nigeria has accused the Nigerian authorities of attempting to cover up the mass killing of over 120 civilians in the recent Kaduna drone attack by the military.

In a statement on December 7, the rights organisation’s director, Isa Sanusi, criticised the military for releasing conflicting explanations on the incident in Tudun Biri, which saw dozens killed and many others injured after being hit by a misfire from drones belonging to the Nigerian Army.

While the Nigerian Army in Kaduna claimed that the incident was a mistake, Defence Headquarters claimed that suspected bandits had infiltrated civilians, which led to the devastating incident.

Mr Sanusi said the contradictory explanations from the military showed their efforts of attempting to sweep the incident under the carpet without any investigation or justice for the lost lives.

He added, “The contradictory explanations offered by the Nigerian military so far show their complete disregard for civilian lives and suggest attempts by the authorities to cover up these grave human rights violations. Air strikes with deadly consequences for civilians are becoming routine. This is completely unacceptable.”

The director, however, blamed the Nigerian authorities for the incident, stating, “The Nigerian military’s recklessness is a result of the authorities’ consistent failure to hold them to account for a long list of such atrocities.”

Mr Sanusi called on President Bola Tinubu to investigate the incident promptly by setting up an investigative panel to ensure victims get justice.

The director said the actions of the Nigerian military are completely unacceptable as “their complete disregard for civilian lives suggest attempts by the authorities to cover up these grave human rights violations. Air strikes with deadly consequences for civilians are becoming routine.” 

He added, “The Nigerian authorities’ persistent failure to hold the military to account is encouraging impunity and increasingly endangering the lives of the civilians the military is supposed to be protecting. The result is that the military is routinely carrying out air strikes that end up killing civilians.”

Meanwhile, Vice President Kashim Shettima told the victims to move on from their loss: “There is no gain in dwelling too much on this incident that has happened.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.