North Macedonia gets first female president

North Macedonia has elected its first female president, Gordana Siljanovska-Davkova, on Wednesday.
The victory comes as the incumbent president faced significant losses in both presidential and parliamentary elections.
Ms Siljanovska-Davkova secured nearly 65 per cent of the vote in the presidential runoff, while the incumbent, Stevo Pendarovski, admitted defeat after receiving just over 29% of the vote.
Backed by the conservative VMRO-DPMNE party, Ms Siljanovska-Davkova stressed the importance of her election as a step forward for women and reform.
“I will stand with women in taking this great step forward, a step towards reform,” she said.
The 70-year old professor has been active in academia, specialising in constitutional law and she’s known for her critical perspectives on constitutional issues in North Macedonia.
The conservative landslide victory also saw VMRO-DPMNE leading in the parliamentary election with nearly 43 per cent of the vote.
The ruling party coalition struggled to maintain second place with 14.8 per cent amid popular discontent over the country’s slow progress towards EU membership and economic stagnation.
Despite the joy and excitement of the victory in the capital city, Skopje, the atmosphere was dampened by a sudden thunderstorm that disrupted the celebrations by causing power outages. However, despite these challenges, the leader of the winning party, Hristijan Mickoski of VMRO-DPMNE, remained determined and unwavering in his commitment to tackle corruption as a top priority in the forthcoming government.
Ms Mickoski expressed commitment to holding individuals accountable for criminal activities and corruption, regardless of their position or influence.
“Every last person who committed a crime and committed corruption will be held accountable,” he said.
Following the conservative landslide victory, discussions will ensue for power sharing to determine control over the 120-seat parliament.
Meanwhile, leader of the Social Democrats and former prime minister until earlier this year, Dimitar Kovachevski, conceded defeat in the parliamentary elections on Wednesday.
He also expressed his decision to step down from his leadership position to be succeeded by a new leader chosen by the party.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Navy strengthen maritime capability with new vessel in Delta
The Nigerian Navy strengthened its maritime security capability by inducting Security Support Vessel KALI 3 to better protect Nigeria’s maritime interests.

Politics
INEC chair Amupitan advises Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, other candidates on 2027 election campaign
“Tell the voters what you’ll do for the economy, security and education and how you intend to achieve it,” stated the INEC chairman.

Education
Katsina govt, UNICEF revive 450 learning hubs for children
UNICEF focal person at the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Maijiadda Kai-Kai, disclosed this on Tuesday in Katsina.

States
NDLEA raids black spots, seize 1.28kg of illicit drugs
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency says it dismantled three high-risk drug black spots in Kazaure council area.

Health
Women make up nearly 70% of global health workforce, study reveals
Women now make up nearly 70 per cent of health workers worldwide but remain concentrated in lower-paid professions with fewer leadership opportunities.

World
Three members of same family die in Sussex sea
Three members of the same family were confirmed dead after getting into difficulty in the water off Shoreham-by-Sea on Tuesday.






