Old and young Nigerians are slaughtered anyhow under Buhari: Abdulsalami Abubakar

The former military head of state Abdulsalami Abubakar has lamented that under President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime, old and young Nigerians are being slaughtered by bandits and other criminals anyhow and everywhere.
“We are facing a very hard time security-wise, where the war front is everywhere, and this is a war without any morality. The old and the young are slaughtered without cause,” stated the ex-military ruler.
He also warned Nigerian youths to desist from any violence that can break up the country ahead of the 2023 general elections.
Mr Abubakar stated this at the 30th convocation ceremony of the Federal University of Technology in Minna on Wednesday.
He also urged politicians to conduct themselves orderly and avoid abusing youths, making them do what we know is wrong.
“Avoid making our children, grandchildren as vanguards. Avoid abusing them and making them do what we know is wrong,” Mr Abubakar said. “For the youths, please avoid being used to be fronts of disharmony and violence in the country.”
According to the former head of state, Nigeria’s security forces are “overstretched”, and Nigerians need to unite to tackle insurgency and other forms of insecurity.
“Indeed, our security forces are overstretched. So it is left to all of us to join hands in making sure that we provide information where possible so that these insurgents could be chased out of our country,” he further pointed out.
This week, Mr Buhari vowed that Nigerians, especially those in the North-East, would soon be saved from the atrocities of bandits and terrorists ravaging the region.
The president stated this at the inauguration of the Presidential Committee on the Repatriation, Return and Resettlement of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the North-East, which preceded the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting.
According to him, the administration is embarking on a revised approach to addressing the 13-year conflict and insurgency in the region and will not relent in efforts towards a return to peace and normalcy.
He said, “At the advent of this administration in 2015, I pledged to Nigerians that I will restore peace in the North-East and return it to the path of development and growth. I remain committed to this promise.”
He added, “I pledge to you that in the coming months, you will begin to witness a shift away from a protracted insurgency to peace-building, stabilisation, and ultimately development in your respective communities as we embark on a revised approach to addressing this conflict- a return to normalcy.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States
Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions
Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.

NationWide
NCoS urges inmates to deepen religious values, build character
Mr David urged inmates in custodial centres to let religion take deeper root in their character to achieve desired reformation.






