Ondo governorship aspirant dies days after alleging threat to life

One of the leading governorship aspirants of the ruling All Progressives Congress in Ondo State, Paul Akintelure, is dead, Peoples Gazette can report.
Mr Akintelure died in the early hours of Tuesday.
An aide to the governorship aspirant confirmed his death to The Gazette in a brief interview.
“Oga (Akintelure) is dead,” he said on the telephone.
Though the aide could not give the details of his death, he stated that Mr Akintelure last Thursday raised the alarm over a threat to his life ahead of the party’s primary election.
The party scheduled April 25 for its primary election, with about 15 aspirants jostling for the governorship ticket.
The APC governorship aspirant had in a statement by his spokesman, Oladapo Akintelure, claimed that there had been both direct and indirect attempts on his life.
In the copy of the statement earlier obtained by The Gazette, Mr Akintelure said that with the recent ‘unsettling event’ he was compelled to voice out and address a matter of grave concern with a heavy heart concerning threats to his life.
“Initially, I hoped these incidents would dissipate over time, yet regrettably, they have escalated to pose a serious threat to my life,” he said in a statement.
Noting that he would not be intimidated by the threat, Mr Akintelure said he had engaged in necessary consultations with agencies entrusted with the safety of lives and property.
He, however, added that he received the intelligence reports and recommendations.
“The threats against me only strengthen my resolve to stand up for what is right and just. I will not allow fear to dictate our path forward.
“Let us embrace peace, progress and unity. Our collective strength lies in our stand together as one, regardless of our differences,” Mr Akintelure had pleaded.
Though he had reported the threat to the security agents, his death came a few days after the leadership of APC released the timetable and schedule of activities for the party’s primary election.
Mr Akintelure served as the running mate to the late Governor Rotimi Akeredolu during the 2012 election on the platform of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria.
He was a medical doctor and hailed from Igbotako, Okitipupa LGA of Ondo State.
The family has yet to issue an official statement as of the time this report was filed.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Australian Tennis star Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive for cocaine
Mr Kyrgios said, “I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”

Hot news Home top
Beware of fertility treatment, surrogacy, ‘miracle baby’ scams in Nigeria, UK warns citizens
“If you’re considering fertility treatment in Nigeria, exercise caution,” it said.

Uncategorized
Osun: INEC presents certificate of return to Gov. Adeleke, deputy
The governor called on those who contested the election against him to join him in moving the state forward.

Heading 2
Over 500 Nigerians offered to cure Ogogo of cancer spiritually, says Jide Kosoko
Mr Kosoko urged fans to continue to pray for the actor’s healing.

Heading 4
Family expresses ‘heartfelt thanks’ as GoFundMe for Cambridge’s youngest Black professor’s funeral hits over £200,000
The family stated, “We have been touched by the messages of love, condolences and acts of kindness during what is a deeply painful time for our family.”

Diaspora
South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027
“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.






