Police promise to punish officers collecting money from Chinese national

The police have condemned the conduct of some of its officers captured in a viral video receiving a bribe from a Chinese national.
In a statement by the force’s national spokesman, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, the police acknowledged the incident and reaffirmed its commitment to upholding ethical standards and professionalism.
“The Nigeria Police Force has taken cognizance of a disturbing video making the rounds in the media space, showing police officers receiving money from a Chinese national,” said the statement.
It added, “The actions of the officers do not represent the established ethics, standards, and core values of the Nigeria Police Force. The Force maintains a zero-tolerance policy towards such unprofessional behaviour and all forms of misconduct that undermine public trust and confidence.”
The police confirmed that the officers involved had been identified and were undergoing disciplinary proceedings.
The viral video shows a Chinese man distributing naira notes to Nigerian cops who lined up in a row.
The incident has since sparked mixed reactions on social media.
Meanwhile, the police have cautioned individuals and organisations to avoid any actions that could tarnish the image of the force.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.






