Presidential candidates violating signed Peace Accord: Abdulsalami Abubakar

Former military head of state Abdusalami Abubakar expressed concern about the lack of compliance by major political parties to the National Peace Accord signed in September 2022.
“Forty-four per cent of the violations were carried out by the spokespersons of the political parties; 26 per cent by party members; 19 per cent by the presidential candidates themselves; 11 per cent by the hardcore supporters and four per cent by the chairmen of the parties,” he said on Wednesday, at the signing of the second Peace Accord for the 2023 presidential election at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
Mr Abubakar is the chairman of the National Peace Committee.
He stated that since the start of official campaigning on September 28, 2022, there had been 60 attacks recorded on political rallies, according to data collated by the National Election Violence Tracker.
According to the ex-head of state, these attacks resulted in nine fatalities, with the highest numbers in the South-West and South-East and lowest in the North-East and North-Central.
Mr Abubakar called on all political actors, key stakeholders and Nigerians to support a peaceful transition and promote the ideals of peace and a violent free post-election period, stressing that “all politicians who will sign the accord to fully commit themselves to the letter and spirit of the accord.”
The INEC chairman Mahmood Yakubu assured the nation that the presidential election would be held on February 25, insisting “INEC is ready.”
According to him, INEC has already begun moving sensitive materials to the various council areas nationwide.
“By Friday, we will activate the registration area centres so that at first light on Saturday, polling units will open on time. The commission is committed to free, fair and credible elections in compliance with the electoral framework and the spirit of the Peace Accord,” stated Mr Mahmoud.
The INEC chief added, “All political parties and candidates are hereby reassured of the commission’s neutrality. INEC is not a political party. We have no candidate in the election. Our allegiance is to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and our loyalty is to Nigerians.”
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Stakeholders seek quick reform of state public health laws
Mr Danjuma described the initiative as a major milestone in strengthening public health legal preparedness.

States
Two Ogun men jailed seven years each for belonging to secret cults
The magistrate said the evidence presented by the prosecution was tenable.

World
Nine die in India hotel fire
Authorities said a child and five Bangladeshi nationals from the same family were killed in the fire.

World
103 Ukrainian soldiers back home from Russia’s captivity, says Zelensky
“I am grateful to the team that works every day to secure the release of our people,” he stated.

Anti-Corruption
ICPC begins tracking of N1billion FG projects in Osun
Ms Oke said the exercise was part of the commission’s mandate to promote accountability and transparency in the implementation of public projects.

World
Police probe murder of two men in Glasgow apartment
The police said a knife was believed to have been used to commit the murder.






