Russia confirms 55 servicemen freed in prisoner swap with Ukraine
Russia’s defence ministry on Thursday announced that 55 of its servicemen had been returned to the country following a prisoner swap with Ukraine.
The ministry said this was the largest prisoner exchange deal with Ukraine since the start of Russia’s military invasion of its neighbour.
In its daily briefing, the ministry said the fighters from Russia’s armed forces and its proxies had been transported to Russia by a military plane and were undergoing medical checks.
The surprise swap involved almost 300 people, including 10 foreigners and Ukrainian commanders who had led a prolonged defence of the port city of Mariupol.
The Russian-installed separatist head of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) said that pro-Kremlin Ukrainian politician Viktor Medvedchuk had been freed as part of the deal.
Medvedchuk, a personal friend of Russian President Vladimir Putin, headed a banned pro-Russian party in Ukraine and was facing treason charges.
The surprise prisoner swap was brokered by Saudi Arabia.
It came just before referendums in parts of Ukraine occupied by Russia that were likely to pave the way for Russia to formally declare the annexation of more swathes of its neighbour.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Ukraine has virtually ruled out talks before a complete Russian withdrawal as its forces retake large parts of the occupied regions.
The two labour unions said they would begin the strike on Thursday in a move that could halt the export of critical minerals and other cargo.
The agency warned Nigerians against downloading unregistered loan-based applications.
Some retail outlets around Maitama, Wuse, Gwarimpa, Wuye and Kubwa Expressways were selling fuel, while others were not.
The structures, illegally erected, were a danger to the safety of lives and properties.
By the end of 2024, all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the EU will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C charging port.