Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sam Larry denies killing MohBad, says he was in Kenya in search of upcoming star

“I have been away since August 20! Till now, I don’t know anything other than what was written in the blogs and press,” Sam Larry said.

• September 29, 2023
Sam Larry and Mohbad
Sam Larry and Mohbad

Nigerian socialite Balogun Olamilekan Eletu, aka Sam Larry, has denied having a hand in the death of Promise “Mohbad” Aloba after videos showed him confronting the singer during a video shoot. 

“I have been away since August 20! Till now, I don’t know anything other than what was written in the blogs and press,” said Sam Larry, who claimed to have been in Kenya before Mohbad’s death on September 12. He said he was away to search for a star to perform at his mother’s annual remembrance. 

In a statement he shared on his Snapchat page, the socialite, an ally of Naira Marley, who was also accused of mistreating Mohbad, explained that the source of his dispute with the late singer was a N2 million owed to him by the “Peace” crooner. 

In videos on social media, Sam Larry was spotted confronting Mohbad during a music video shoot with Zlatan, where he harassed the singer. 

But despite facing allegations related to Mohbad’s passing, Sam Larry underscored that their disagreement was exclusively centred around the unsettled debt. He asserted that he paid Mohbad N2 million for a performance at his mother’s annual remembrance concert, but the late singer failed to attend. 

According to Sam Larry, when asked about the N2 million, Mohbad claimed to have been ill and broke since he was leaving Naira Marley’s Marlian Records. He said Mohbad claimed to have lost his phone when operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) raided his apartment in early 2022.

“I then left, all for me to later hear that this same boy was having a musical video shoot the next door, practically next street to my house, so I went there to ask for my money again, we had an argument that lasted five minutes, even one of his friends insisted he was going to pay the money, up till today one kobo they have not paid me, this was early last year. I have since then moved on,” Sam Larry stated. 

He further claimed, “ I don’t even know where he lives; I only know his former record label boss and their house. I don’t know any nurse or doctor or hospital; I don’t know anything about his movement; I don’t have that time; I have lost a lot of money than before; you win some, you lose some.  This is my story. I came willingly and happily. I know nothing about the musician died.”

He was taken into police custody Thursday evening over the ongoing investigation of Mohbad’s death.

Meanwhile, Mohbad had, in June this year, petitioned the police, seeking protection against alleged threats to his life and properties by Sam Larry. 

In the petition, Mohbad alleged that he was shooting a video when thugs numbering about 15 and led by Sam Larry attacked him with dangerous weapons and threatened him. He said Sam Larry claimed to be acting on the orders of Oba Elegushi.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.