Security operatives arrest AAC governorship candidate, other #EndBadGovernance protesters in Ondo

A combined team of the Nigerian police and army has arrested several protesters, including Kunle Ajayi, the governorship candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), for participating in the #EndBadGovernance protest in Ondo State.
The protesters, who had gathered at the popular NEPA roundabout in Akure, the state capital, were swarmed by armed security agencies on Saturday during the ongoing one-million-man protest against hunger and hardship.
No fewer than eight protesters were arrested and taken to the state police headquarters in Akure.
Those arrested include Patrick Owolabi, the state coordinator of the Take It Back Movement; Kolawole Kumuyi, the state organizing secretary of the Take It Back Movement; Oluwatobi Akinkuotu; and Olalekan Oladehinde, among others.
Human rights lawyer Tope Temokun, who confirmed the arrest of the protesters to Peoples Gazette in a statement, condemned the actions of the security agencies.
Mr Temokun said the arrest of peaceful protesters by the Nigerian police in Akure was an unnecessary and unjustifiable act, especially given how the protesters had coordinated their demonstration.
“In an orderly manner, the protesters began their peaceful procession this morning around the NEPA roundabout, holding placards. The arrest occurred after the protesters were engaged by the police leadership, who demanded that the protesters move to a designated approved venue, said to be the ARCADE. Unknown to the protesters, who were promptly complying by proceeding to the approved venue, this was a mere ploy to isolate and arrest them.
“As the protesters were heading there peacefully, they were ambushed by the arresting team of the Nigerian police, acting on orders from above. Among those arrested were the AAC governorship candidate, Kunle Ajayi Wiseman, Patrick Owolabi, Oluwatobi Akinkuotu, Kolawole Kumuyi, Olalekan Oladehinde, and others.
“This tactic of deceiving citizens during civic engagement will not only erode total trust and confidence in the police, but it is also disgraceful and appears to be an attempt to win empty accolades from the government,” he said.
While noting that citizens have a constitutional right to protest peacefully, the human rights lawyer stressed that the police and government do not have the power to take away rights guaranteed by the constitution.
He called on Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa to intervene immediately and ensure the release of the protesters, who are currently being held incommunicado in police custody.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.






