Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Shettima directs NEMA, task force to begin early flood preparedness

Vice-President Kashim Shettima has directed NEMA, AATF, and other relevant agencies to begin early action to mitigate flooding nationwide.

• June 26, 2026
Flood used to illustrate the story

Vice-President Kashim Shettima has directed the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the Anticipatory Action Task Force (AATF), and other relevant agencies to begin early action to mitigate flooding nationwide.

According to a statement on Thursday by the vice-president’s spokesperson, Stanley Nkwocha, Mr Shettima gave the directive during a meeting of the AATF at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

The vice-president also directed the agencies to review and update their implementation budgets in line with approved allocations and establish clear priorities for execution.

He stressed the need to shift from a reactive approach to proactive preparedness, saying the administration of President Bola Tinubu was committed to tackling flooding and other climate-related disasters through early action.

“We are called to act early, to reduce losses before they multiply, and to protect vulnerable communities before crises unfold around them,” he said.

He maintained that Nigeria requires an institutional mechanism that enables authorities to anticipate hazards, consolidate data, coordinate decisions, and activate interventions before emergencies escalate.

“I am directing that technical consultations begin at once to operationalise the Fusion and Trigger Room concept within NEMA as a national platform for coordination and early action. This platform should anchor our monitoring, our forecasting, the activation of triggers, the coordination across agencies, and the decisions that follow from them,” he added.

Mr Shettima also directed NEMA, relevant agencies and technical teams to immediately review and update their budgets in line with approved allocations and ensure that implementation priorities are clearly defined. He further instructed the institutions to work closely together to expedite the release and deployment of approved resources, warning against delays in implementing preparedness measures.

“Anticipatory Action, therefore, rises or falls on speed and readiness. Resources intended for preparedness and early response must be available at the precise moment they are required.

“To wait until disaster strikes before releasing what we have already approved is to defeat the very purpose of acting early. I am therefore directing the relevant institutions to work closely together to expedite the release and deployment of approved resources, and to ensure that implementation timelines are never held hostage by administrative delay,” he stated.

NEMA’s director-general, Zubaida Abubakar Umar, said the funds approved by the National Economic Council would help prevent loss of lives and protect livelihoods. She added that the agency had prioritised vulnerable communities and issued early warning alerts in anticipation of flooding.

The NEC had earlier approved ₦83.2 billion to mitigate the anticipated flooding and other climate-related emergencies across the country.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty. 

Nigeria Customs Service (NCS)

Economy

Apapa customs record N28 billion in single-day revenue

He attributed the latest milestone to sustained reforms and improved compliance.