Saturday, August 22, 2026

South Africa’s Julius Malema found guilty in gunshot case

Mr Malema vowed to challenge the verdict even up to South Africa’s highest court.

• October 1, 2025
South African opposition leader Julius Malema speaking at the opening of the 2025 Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association, held at the International Conference Centre in Enugu.
South African opposition leader Julius Malema speaking at the opening of the 2025 Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association, held at the International Conference Centre in Enugu. [Photo credit: @EFFSouthAfrica on X]

South African politician and founder of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) party, Julius Malema, has been found guilty of publicly discharging a firearm, an offence that may earn the communist party leader a maximum of a 15-year jail sentence.

‎Mr Malema in a 2018 video was seen firing several shots in the air, during his party’s fifth anniversary celebration held in South Africa Eastern Cape Province.

‎The 44-year-old politician was said to have fired between 14 and 15 live rounds on a stage in front of 20,000 EFF supporters.

‎He was also convicted of unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition, discharging it in a public space and reckless endangerment of a public gathering.

‎Mr Malema was charged along with his then bodyguard, Adrian Snyman, although Mr Snyman was later acquitted.

‎Unfazed by the conviction, Mr Malema said, “Going to prison or death is a badge of honour. We cannot be scared of prison [or] to die for the revolution. Whatever they want to do, they must know we will never retreat.”

‎He further told the East London magistrate court in the Eastern Cape Province that the gun fired wasn’t his and shots fired were only intended to rouse the crowd.

‎He vowed to challenge the verdict even up to South Africa’s highest court, the Constitutional Court.

‎Mr Malema, a controversial figure in the South Africa political space, was convicted of hate speech less than two months ago against white minority in the country when he called for the seizure and transfer of white owned lands to the black majority in South Africa.

‎Back in May this year, during a visit by South Africa’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, to the Whitehouse, US president Donald Trump accused South Africa of committing genocide against white Afrikaners in the country, after Mr Trump showed Mr Ramaphosa a video clip of the EFF leader chanting, “Kill the Boer (Afrikaner), Kill the farmer,” and making fiery comments about land occupation and white people

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.