Friday, August 21, 2026

Spain’s first lady Begona Sanchez to stand trial for corruption

Judge Juan Carlos Peinado ordered Mrs Gómez to report to court twice monthly, surrender her passport, and barred her from leaving Spain.

• June 22, 2026
Begoña Sánchez with Spanish PM
Begoña Sánchez with Spanish PM[Credit: The Guardian]

A court in Madrid has ordered Begoña Sánchez, the wife of Spain’s Prime Minister, Pedro Sánchez, to stand trial on a yet-to-be-set date for corruption charges involving the alleged use of her position as first lady to secure work contracts for private gain.

According to a court order, Judge Juan Carlos Peinado also directed Mrs Gómez to report to court twice monthly, surrender her passport, and barred her from leaving Spain to prevent some of the police officers attached to her as the first lady from helping her flee.

The court, which agreed that there was sufficient evidence requiring Mrs Gomez to trial, stated, “Instructions shall be issued to all border posts and civilian and military airports” to ensure she doesn’t leave the country.

“There’s no doubt that these officers, at a given moment, and acting on their own initiative, or following orders from their superiors, could be the very ones who collaborate in the action or actions carried out to help Gómez flee.”

The case was filed by Manos Limpias (Clean Hands), a legal pressure group set up by a lawyer with far-right links, and the investigation commenced in April 2024, before she was formally charged in April 2026 with embezzlement, influence peddling, corruption in business dealings, and misappropriation of funds.

The case relates to an academic chair at Madrid’s Complutense University that the 55-year-old first lady co-directed, along with allegations that she used public resources and her connections for private business interests.

Mrs Gómez had earlier described the allegations as baseless, a politically motivated smear, and an “obscene farce”, while her husband, an outspoken leftist leader in Europe, who has refused to yield to calls to step down as prime minister, accused political and media opponents of targeting his family and has also publicly challenged the impartiality of some of the judiciary members.

Mr Sánchez’s left-wing Spanish Socialist Workers’ Party (PSOE), reacting to the ruling, said, “(Begoña) has been subjected to judicial and political persecution for two years. Today’s development is another step in that process.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar

Economy

Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says

“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

L-R: Jordan Nyesom-Wike, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, David Adeleke, and Joaquin Nyesom-Wike.

Politics

‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory

In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

Heap of naira cash

NationWide

The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses

His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.

NationWide

How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke

“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Tinubu sitting with Atiku

Economy

Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu

“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Biodun Oyebanji

Politics

Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.