Monday, August 17, 2026

SSS vows to investigate operatives fighting with prison officials over custody of Emefiele

The service said this in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Peter Afunanya, on Wednesday.

• July 26, 2023
SSS and prison officials fighting
SSS and prison officials fighting

The State Security Service (SSS) has said it will investigate the issue of some of its operatives engaging in a brawl with officers of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) over the custody of the suspended Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefile.


The service said this in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Peter Afunanya, on Wednesday.


The SSS also described the incident as unfortunate and did not in any way reflect the professional disposition of the service.


It added that the service would not encourage such an act.


“The public will recall that Mr Godwin Emefiele, suspended CBN Governor, was arraigned at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos, on 25th July 2023. The Service has noted the incident that took place between its staff and those of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) and wish to state as follows:


“The incident was unfortunate and does not in any way reflect the professional disposition of the DSS; The Service did not and would never encourage the incident under reference,” the SSS statement read.


The SSS said this in reaction to an incident Tuesday where some operatives of the service and staff of the NCS engaged in a face-off at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos, where Mr Emefile was arraigned on charges of illegal possession of weapons.


According to videos that circulated online, some SSS operatives were seen charging at an officer of the NCS and ripping his uniform open.


The suspended CBN chief was arraigned on two counts of illegal possession of firearms and ammunition before Justice Nicholas Oweibo.


Many rights activists and the Nigerian Bar Association have condemned the service, describing it as a show of shame.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Nasir Idris

States

Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate

Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

Troops with rescued victims

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

States

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Makinde congratulates Adeleke

Politics

Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections

The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

Lagos

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.