SWAN laments abandonment of Akure stadium months after Aiyedatiwa approved its renovation

The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) in Ondo State has decried the abandonment of the Akure Township Stadium despite approval for its renovation by Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa.
“The congress is not happy with the abandonment of the renovation project of the Akure Stadium (Ondo State Sports Complex), three months after the contract had been awarded by the state government, thereby making economic activities to be totally grounded within and around the sports complex,” SWAN said in a communique on Friday after its monthly congress presided over by its chairman, Segun Giwa.
In June, Mr Aiyedatiwa, through the State Executive Council (SEC), the state’s highest decision-making body, approved the renovation of the sports facility to the Reform Sports West Africa.
SWAN said the abandonment hindered athletes’ access to the stadium and asked Mr Aiyedatiwa to visit the facility.
“The congress, however, called on Governor Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa to visit the sports complex himself and see the next line of action as future champions are not having access to facilities to train, especially with his promise to build a new stadium, the old one should be maintained,” it said.
SWAN also kicked against the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development’s action of not sponsoring any association member to the just concluded National Youths Games in Asaba, Delta state.
It asked Mr Aiyedatiwa to appoint a board for the Ondo State Sports Council like he did for the football agency to engender all-round development.
In a swift reaction to the abandoned renovation work at the stadium, the commissioner for youths and sports development in the state, Saka Ogunleye, said the contractor handling the project had moved to the site.
“Be informed that the contractor has since moved to the site, with the construction work ongoing at the hockey pitch where the old synthetic surface at the football pitch will be used.
“The contractor has started work since his mobilisation, removing the old surface for the hockey pitch and ready to lay a new one having been procured,” Mr Saka added.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 1
Wike orders demolition of houses blocking drainage channels after flood overruns Abuja
Mr Wike stated, “We will demolish all those houses found on the water channels. Some of them are (owned by) senators. Some of them are (owned by) big men.

Heading 2
NDLEA intercepts 184.50 kilograms of cocaine, nabs cartel leader Afolabi Michael ‘KC Luxury’
The NDLEA said KC Luxury parades “as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods.”

Heading 5
Police apprehend two suspected members of Ogun ‘one chance’ syndicate
Mr Babaseyi stated, “Efforts are currently being intensified by operatives to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate.”

Lagos
APC chieftain seeks centralisation of party campaign structure
Mr Sewedo said that there were too many independent campaign groups under the APC.

Africa
Outages: Libya replaces state-owned electricity firm board of directors
The development comes as Libya faces repeated partial and total power grid collapses.

Lagos
NDLEA intercepts 184.5kg cocaine from Lagos courier firm, nabs two suspects
Mr Marwa said the seizure further exposed Nigeria’s use as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for foreign countries.






