Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Trump lied I begged him to take photo with me at G7 summit: Meloni

Ms Meloni noted that she was surprised at Mr Trump’s comments. 

• June 19, 2026
Meloni and Trump
Giorgia Meloni and Donald Trump [Credit: CNN]

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has described as “completely made up” U.S. President Donald Trump’s claim that she “begged” for a photograph with him at this week’s G7 summit.

“There is one thing he needs to remember: neither I nor Italy ever beg,” Ms Meloni said in a video on social media on Friday, responding to Mr Trump’s remarks.

Mr Trump said in an interview with Italy’s La7, “She’s probably happy I talked to her. I didn’t have to talk to her. She begged me to take a picture with her. She wanted a picture with me so badly. I wouldn’t have taken it, but I felt sorry for her.”

However, Ms Meloni noted that she was surprised at Mr Trump’s comments and said she wondered why he “behaves this way towards allies”, adding that this was not the first time he did the same.

The prime minister also said it was “regrettable” that Mr Trump was willing to chide long-standing allies while being “far more” accommodating towards those considered enemies of the U.S. and the West.

Both leaders were seen conversing on a small sofa during the G7 summit in Évian-les-Bains, France, earlier this week. Ms Meloni later told reporters that their relationship remained unchanged and there had been “no recriminations.”

Ms Meloni and Mr Trump were previously allies, but their relationship became strained after the U.S. military actions in an Iranian school when it launched “Operation Epic Fury”. She condemned the attacks as a “massacre” and barred the U.S. military aircraft from using the Sigonella air base in Sicily.

Irked by Mr Trump’s remarks, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani announced the cancellation of his planned visit to the U.S. next week.

“The serious and offensive words of President Trump towards Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni offend the whole of Italy,” Mr Tajani said on X.

Giovanbattista Fazzolari, undersecretary to the prime minister’s office, said it was unclear whether Mr Trump was intentionally or incompetently undermining relations between the United States and Europe.

“With his inappropriate outbursts, he has managed no easy feat to make the United States unpopular across the entire European continent, damaging not only Europe but above all the United States,” he added.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Apapa port (Credit: Stears)

Economy

21 ships to berth at three Lagos ports, NPA says

The NPA said the ships would arrive between August 18 and August 25.

Patrick Ubru

States

Enugu govt leases 67 tractors to farmers to boost mechanised farming

Mr Ubru said the tractor leasing initiative was part of the government’s efforts to make mechanised farming more accessible and affordable to farmers.

States

Soldiers foil kidnap attempts in Zamfara, rescue victims

Mr Danja stated that seven victims, comprising four women and three children, were successfully rescued unharmed.

Anambra state

States

Anambra health insurance agency warns desk officers against overbilling enrollees

Mr Ezeka urged the officers to uphold transparency, professionalism and accountability in the discharge of their duties.

Flags of Iran, Brazi

Economy

Iran, Brazil set to deepen economic, trade ties

Iran and Brazil agreed to develop a joint roadmap to deepen economic and trade relations.

Foluso Omole

Diaspora

Nigerian Foluso Omole arrested while fleeing Australia, charged over $5 million fraud

Mr Omole, 38, was arrested at Adelaide Airport as he attempted to flee Australia for Nigeria last Friday.