Trump storms out of NBC interview when asked to prove election rigging claims

President Donald Trump stormed out of an interview with NBC’s Kristie Welker in Wisconsin on Friday after he was challenged on his claims of election rigging in the 2020 presidential election and the ongoing 2026 California gubernatorial race.
The U.S. leader first showed signs of irritation while discussing a proposed $1.8 billion anti-weaponisation fund for individuals he claimed were victimised by the administration. Critics have criticised the proposal, warning that the funds would benefit Mr Trump’s supporters, including those involved in the violent January 6, 2020, protest.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen with the weaponisation fund,” he said. “I love the idea because people like you, the fake dirty press, the crooked press, people like stupid Biden … they destroyed people. They sent people to jail who did nothing wrong.”
Ms Welker, host of Free the Press, interjected and asked for proof.
“There is no evidence for what you’re saying,” she said.
She repeatedly pressed Mr Trump on whether there was any evidence to support his assertion that the 2020 election was rigged, a line of questioning that appeared to anger the president.
Mr Trump claimed the California governorship election had been compromised, suggesting that the slow counting of ballots indicated corruption.
“It’s four days and they aren’t even close,” Mr Trump said.
The anchor said the slow pace of counting was expected and usual for elections in California.
“Do you have evidence to support that?” Ms Welker asked Mr Trump, who answered, “All I have to do is look.”
The U.S. president further accused NBC and other media organisations, such as CNN and CBS, of editorial bias, noting that he received “94 per cent bad press” despite winning the 2024 presidential election in a landslide.
“They’re crooked. Just like you’re crooked. Your press is crooked and Meet the Press is crooked. Let’s call it quits because I’ve had enough,” Mr Trump said, as he stood from his chair. “Thank you, darling. Have a good time.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






