Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Trump to sack 15,000 transgender officers from U.S. military: Report

There are indications U.S. President-elect Donald Trump plans to sack 15,000 transgender officers from the military. 

• November 25, 2024
U.S. soldiers
U.S. soldiers [Credit: U.S. Army]

There are indications U.S. President-elect Donald Trump plans to sack 15,000 transgender officers from the military. 

Mr Trump would use an executive order to remove all the transgender, according to The Times’ military sources. 

The source revealed that the order could come on his first day back in the White House on January 20, 2025.

The transgender would be medically discharged, which would determine that they were not fit, The Times quoted the source. 

Mr Trump, 78, has railed against ‘woke’ practices in the military, saying that some high-ranking officers are often more interested in diversity, equity, and inclusion than planning to fight. 

The bank is expected to be wider ranging than a similar order made during his first term in office, when Mr Trump prevented transgender people from joining the armed forces

Although he allowed those already serving to keep their jobs. 

Outgoing President Joe Biden rescinded the order, but this time, even those with decades of service will be removed from their posts, according to sources. 

Rachel Branaman, the executive director of the Modern Military Association of America, said that if a trans ban were implemented from day one of Mr Trump’s administration, it would undermine the military’s readiness.

Ms Branaman, whose organisation campaigns on behalf of LGBTQ+ military personnel and veterans, also noted that it would create an even greater recruitment and retention crisis, not to mention signalling vulnerability to America’s adversaries.

“Abruptly discharging 15,000-plus service members, especially given that the military’s recruiting targets fell short by 41,000 recruits last year, adds administrative burdens to warfighting units, harms unit cohesion, and aggravates critical skill gaps.

“There would be a significant financial cost, as well as a loss of experience and leadership that will take possibly 20 years and billions of dollars to replace,” she added. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.