U.S.-based 26-year-old Kalder CEO Gökçe Güven convicted of $7 million capital fraud, O-1A visa misstatement

The Chief Executive Officer of Kalder, a fintech startup, Gökçe Güven, has pleaded guilty to one count of securities fraud after inflating her company’s revenue to raise $7 million from venture capital investors and secure a visa to remain in the U.S. after her student visa expired.
“Gökçe Güven defrauded more than a dozen venture capital investors through material misrepresentations about Kalder’s revenue and brand partners, then lied to obtain an immigration benefit,” said U.S. Attorney Jay Clayton, the state prosecutor on the case. “In our startup markets, ambition is not a substitute for honesty. If you lie to investors in any market—public or private; venture or late-stage growth; fintech; biotech; energy; financial services; industrial; etc.—you will be held accountable.”
Ms Guven, a 26-year-old Turkish citizen, entered the guilty plea on Friday in New York, agreeing to forfeit $7 million to the U.S. government.
Prosecutors said she misrepresented Kalder as more successful than it was, maintaining two sets of financial records, one reflecting the company’s actual performance and another containing exaggerated figures. In the falsified records, she claimed the startup had been generating substantial revenue from February 2023 and grossed $1.2 million in annual recurring revenue by March 2024.
Authorities alleged she used the fabricated data to raise $7 million from more than a dozen investors. She also relied on the same misrepresentations to obtain an O-1A visa, reserved for individuals with extraordinary ability in fields such as business, science, sports and the arts.
As part of the visa application, Ms Güven submitted forged letters of support and reference bearing the purported signatures of Kalder executives to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Prosecutors said she signed the documents herself without the knowledge and consent of the executives. The visa was issued in the fall of 2025.
Although she has agreed to return the $7 million, Ms Güven faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison. But her final sentence will be determined by U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan, who has scheduled sentencing for September 17.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Education
NBTE, SMEDAN move to strengthen entrepreneurship training in polytechnics
NBTE, in collaboration with SMEDAN, has begun validating the National Diploma (ND) Entrepreneurship curriculum.

Kano
Kano: NDLEA says 80 residents nabbed during raids of illicit drug joints
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency has launched ‘Operation Restore Order’ in Kano and arrested 80 suspects.

Health
NIC unveils initiative to professionalise caregiving in Nigeria
The National Institute of Caregivers has unveiled a national initiative to strengthen professional caregiving in the country.

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.






