U.S. Court orders Buhari’s appointee Simbi Wabote to explain transactions in his bank accounts

A U.S. court has ordered the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board executive secretary, Simbi Wabote, to explain all transactions made on his bank accounts from January 2018 to date.
In a court document seen by Peoples Gazette on Thursday, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania gave Mr Wabote two weeks to provide the fully unredacted version of his bank statements.
The court also ordered Wabote (plaintiff in the suit) to provide answers to several questions raised by U.S.-based Nigerian journalist Jackson Ude (the defendant) in an ongoing defamation case between the duo.
“Within 20 days from this order, plaintiff shall provide defendant with all of the requested documents to defendant’s second request for production of documents numbered one to nine, which are attached as Exhibit G to defendant’s letter and dated November 30, 2021,” the court document stated. “Within twenty days from this Order, Plaintiff shall provide Defendant with fully unredacted versions of the bank statements he has already provided.”
The defendant had earlier asked the court to mandate Mr Wabote to identify and clearly state all banks he operated all bank accounts from 2010 to date, whether still in operation or closed.
The defendant asked Mr Wabote to identify all bank account numbers, names, and addresses of the banks involved anywhere around the world since 2010 to date.
Mr Ude also asked the plaintiff to identify any and all third parties that work for the NCDMB, clearly stating the relationship shared.
Mr Wabote had sued the U.S.-based Nigerian journalist in a U.S. court for character defamation. He claimed that Mr Ude defamed his character in an online publication on Pointblanknews.com.
He alleged that the journalist accused him of financially compromising his position and abusing the privileges of his office as the NCDMB boss while Nigeria prepared to launch the Liquefied Natural Gas Train 7.
However, Mr Ude’s attorney prayed the court to ask President Muhammadu Buhari to present documents explaining if and why he allowed Mr Wabote to operate foreign bank accounts against provisions of the Nigerian Constitution.
The constitution bars public officeholders, including the president, from operating or maintaining foreign bank accounts.
Following the defendant’s prayer, the court instructed Mr Buhari to present “any, every, and all the documents fully and specifically explaining why plaintiff, Simbi Wabote, is allowed by the Nigerian government to operate foreign bank accounts while the other public officials and public officers are prevented and/or forbidden from opening and/or operating foreign bank accounts.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police arraign three men over alleged N1.9 million theft
The magistrate adjourned the case until September 2 for mention.

States
Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph of courage over fear, says Accord Party chairman
Mr Mgbudem said the election was a powerful testament to the people’s resolve to choose their governor freely and peacefully and protect their votes despite all odds.

Politics
Tinubu celebrates ex-military dictator IBB at 85
“But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today,” Mr Tinubu reasoned.

Anti-Corruption
SEREC accountability in port charges, operational delays
SEREC has called for transparent port charges, accountable operators and a regulatory system where responsibility for delays follows the party that caused them.

Lagos
Badagry LG chairman distributes food palliatives to 500 widows
Mr Hunpe said the widows were selected randomly across the 10 wards of the local government.

NationWide
Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to arms control agency
Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.






