U.S. imposes visa restrictions on Rwandan govt officials over DRC violence

The United States has vowed to impose visa restrictions on several Rwandan government officials responsible for instigating violence in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
In a statement issued on Friday, the U.S. Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, stated that the decision was necessary to discipline individuals supporting the M23 rebel group operating in eastern DRC.
“The Department of State will impose visa restrictions on several senior Rwandan officials for fueling instability in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). By continuing to support M23 and violating the Washington Accords, these individuals are driving violence and undermining the stability of the entire Great Lakes Region,” Mr Rubio said.
Emphasising the treaty’s importance, the U.S. Secretary of State said, “The United States expects all parties to the Washington Accords to fully implement their commitments, including the DRC immediately neutralizing the FDLR armed group and its associated groups and Rwanda withdrawing its troops and military equipment from the DRC.”
He noted that the immense economic potential of the Great Lakes region can only be realised by respecting the agreement’s terms and ensuring regional stability.
Mr Rubio, however, warned that individuals responsible for or complicit in obstructing sustainable peace in the Great Lakes region would face consequences for such misconduct.
“Individuals believed to be responsible for, complicit in, or directly or indirectly engaged in undermining or impeding a sustainable peace in the Great Lakes region will face consequences,” he stated.
Mr Rubio explained that the visa restriction policy was in accordance with Section 212(a)(3)(C) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act, which authorised the Secretary of State to deny entry to individuals and family members whose entry “would have potentially serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.






