Monday, February 6, 2023

U.S. judge orders unsealing of redacted affidavit used in Trump’s home search 

• August 26, 2022
Donald Trump
Former U.S President Donald Trump [CREDIT: Wikipedia)

A U.S. federal judge has ordered that the redacted version of the affidavit used to obtain a search warrant for ex-President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence should be unsealed by noon on Friday. 

On Thursday, Judge Bruce E. Reinhart ordered the release of the redacted affidavit in a two-page order issued from Federal District Court in Southern Florida. 

The document said Mr Reinhart had found the Justice Department’s proposed redactions to be “narrowly tailored to serve the government’s legitimate interest in the integrity of the ongoing investigation.”

Mr Reinhart’s decision came as the Justice Department proposed extensive redactions to protect witnesses from intimidation or retribution if the document’s contents are made public.

Last week, Mr Reinhart said that the redaction process could turn the documents into “meaningless gibberish.

The Justice Department had initially opposed releasing the document, raising concerns over their investigation and potentially exposing sources of information regarding Mr Trump’s handling of classified material.

The court proceedings followed efforts by news organisations such as The New York Times, The Washington Post and Dow Jones & Company, which pushed for the affidavit to be unsealed.

Mr Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Estate was raided by agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in early August, a move Mr Trump said was aimed at preventing him from running for president again in 2024.

This week, Mr Trump filed a lawsuit against the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) over their raid of his Mar-a-Lago estate two weeks ago. He said, “Law enforcement is a shield that protects Americans. It cannot be used as a weapon for political purposes”.

Mr Trump asked the Department of Justice to provide him with a detailed inventory of all the property seized at the Palm Beach resort and that the federal government return any seized item that was not within the scope of the search warrant authorizing the raid.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Human and Environmental Development Agenda, HEDA

Rights

HEDA admonishes CBN to review cash ratio policy, monitor PoS operators reselling new notes to partygoers

The group asked the CBN partner with law enforcement agencies to arrest the defaulters and bring them to book.

Christian Atsu

Sport

Christian Atsu found alive hours after being trapped under rubble from Türkiye earthquake 

Twin earthquakes rocked Türkiye and Syria in the early hours of Monday, leading to the death of more than 2,300 people.

Governor Aminu Masari and Bola Tinubu

Politics

Tinubu donated N100 million to victims of banditry in Katsina: Masari 

The governor said that the APC presidential candidate gave the donation to be distributed to all victims of insecurity in the state.

Bola Tinubu and Teslim Folarin

Politics

Nigeria, Oyo need “new nation handlers” like Tinubu, Folarin: Group

The group also supported the governorship and presidential candidates with billboards, banners, posters, stickers, and shirts.

Atiku Abubakar in Benue state

Politics

I will return peace to Benue, promote agriculture: Atiku

The PDP candidate revealed that the measures he will adopt is for the Fulani and Tivs to sign a peace accord.

Road Safety Officiers

States

FRSC to screen vehicles, drivers for election duties in Zamfara

The corps said safe and timely delivery of election materials was imperative to free, fair and credible elections in the country.