U.S. School Shooting: Authorities warned pupil had gun but ignored, lawyer alleges

Fresh details have emerged in the wake of an ongoing investigation of a shooting where a six-year-old pupil who had taken his mother’s gun to school, shot his teacher in the chest.
Diane Toscano, lawyer to Abigail Zwerner – the injured teacher – asserted the Richneck Elementary School authorities had been warned on three separate occasions that the boy was in possession of a gun but did not act accordingly.
Ms Toscano said her client, scheduled for surgeries in the weeks ahead, was ready to sue the school for acting carelessly in managing the situation which could have been prevented.
She explained that the teacher had searched the pupil’s school bag the morning of the incident, believing he might have a gun but found no weapon.
Ms Zwerner around 12:30 p.m. the same day notified the management of her suspicion that the pupil might be hiding the gun in his pocket when he went for recess.
The school administrator, however, dismissed her worries saying the pupil’s pocket was too “little” to hold a gun.
Around 1:00 p.m., a pupil had tearfully complained to another teacher that the six-year-old pupil showed him the gun and threatened to shoot him if the pupil reported him to anyone.
“What did administrators do?” Ms Toscano queried at a press conference on Wednesday. “Did administrators call the police? No. Did administrators lock down the school? No. Did administrators evacuate the building? No. Did they confront the student? No.”
By 1:00 p.m., a third staff member sought permission to search the boy but was asked to wait, since it was near closing time.
An hour later, the pupil had fired the bullet into his teacher’s chest. Ms Toscano said the bullet had yet to be dislodged from her client’s chest whose road to recovery consists of several surgeries and physical therapy appointments.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
2027: Politics must not undermine Nigeria’s national unity, APC chairman Yilwatda says
“I urge Nigerians to see our diversity not as a weakness, but as a source of strength. As we approach another electoral season, we must reject division and violence,” he said.

World
Ukraine embassy marks 35th independence anniversary, reaffirms struggle for freedom
Mr Kholostenko described it as a day that embodied the Ukrainian people’s enduring struggle for freedom, statehood and the right to determine their own future.

States
Police arrest two suspected kidnappers in Ondo
Police arrested two suspected kidnappers in connection with the abduction of a man, Abubakar Abdullahim, in Ondo State.

States
Security forces kill six suspected secessionists in Anambra
The Commissioner of Police in Anambra, Nnanna Ama, said a joint security team comprising the army, navy, police, SSS, and local vigilantes conducted the operation.

Heading 5
People exploiting actor Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ Hassan’s illness to make money, daughter alleges
Ms Taiwo said some Nigerians are exploiting her father’s ailment to make money.

States
2027: Loyalty to Tinubu, APC non-negotiable, says Ondo reconciliation committee
Dele Olanubi, the committee secretary, said members who left the APC to contest elective offices on other parties’ platforms had forfeited their membership.






