Uganda’s President Museveni says World Bank is ‘shallow, imperialist’ actor

President Yoweri Museveni has said Uganda will not cower to the World Bank, which withheld financial aid previously promised to the African nation after learning of its anti-gay laws.
Last week, the World Bank halted all forms of aid to Uganda, saying the nation’s intolerable anti-homosexuality laws did not reflect the values of the apex bank.
But Mr Museveni, on Thursday, responded by describing the World Bank officials as “shallow and insufferable imperialist actors who do not know where to stop” in a post on Twitter, now called X.
Last May, Mr Museveni signed an anti-gay law that hands 20 years prison sentence to violators and a death penalty in cases of “aggravated homosexuality”, a move that drew condemnation from Western leaders, including U.S. President Joe Biden and informed the World Bank’s decision to suspend financial aid to Uganda.
The Ugandan president said the sanctions were in vain as his country was unmoved and would not be intimidated into reversing the anti-homosexual laws. He noted that the withdrawal of aid would not, however, make Ugandans suddenly become “anti-Western”.
“The provocations by the World Bank and the thoughtless homo-sexual lobby should not provoke us into being, automatically, anti-Western,” the Ugandan president said.
Mr Museveni implied that the aid the World Bank has provided to African nations failed to improve the continent’s economy, noting there were still growing crises of insecurity and instability.
“On the contrary, those loans and aid packages can be a source of distortion and stunted growth as you can see across Africa,” Mr Museveni posted on X. “If foreign aid and loans are a source of social-economic transformation, why the present growing crisis of even security and stability in Africa?”
“Some of these imperialist actors are insufferable. You have to work hard to restrain yourself from exploding with anger,” the president said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday
Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.

States
24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno
The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.






