Saturday, August 22, 2026

Ukraine announces killing of Nigerian Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor fighting as Russian mercenary 

The Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence posted photos of slain Mr Victor in Russian army fatigue and a photo of his passport.

• May 28, 2026
Nigerian, Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor
Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor

The Ukrainian authorities have announced the elimination of a Nigerian, Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor, fighting as a mercenary for Russia. 

The Defence Intelligence of Ukraine, in a statement on Thursday, said “Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor, born on April 28, 1992, was eliminated in combat against the Defence Forces of Ukraine in Kharkiv region near the settlement of Hrafske.”

It added, “The mercenary was a resident of Ilutitun, Ondo State. His story is typical of many recruits: deception, promises of “easy money,” a week of training, deployment to the front line, and a rapid death.”

The Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence posted photos of slain Mr Victor in Russian army fatigue and a photo of his passport, stating that the slain Nigerian mercenary entered a contract with Russia despite official warning from the Nigerian government.

“Notably, Ayebusiwa Olabode Victor signed a contract in late February 2026 — just one week after Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs officially expressed serious concern on February 15 over cases of illegal recruitment of Nigerian citizens for participation in foreign-armed conflicts,” DIU said.

According to DIU, at least 215 Nigerians have signed contracts with the Russian ministry of defense, fighting as macenaries for Russia.

“The DIU calls on Nigerian citizens to resist kremlin recruiters, stop the recruitment of their compatriots into the criminal war against Ukraine,” Defence Intelligence of Ukraine stated.

In April, At least 16 Cameroonians serving as military mercenaries for Russia were killed in the warfront with Ukraine. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ethel Caterham

World

World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday

Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.

Troops of Operations Fansan Yamma.

States

24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno

The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.