Friday, August 21, 2026

UN chief Guterres urges countries to implement measures against increasing attacks on schools

He stated facts around the globe showed that 224 million children and young people urgently need educational support.

• September 9, 2023
António Guterres
António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations (Photo Credit: Twitter)

The secretary-general of the United Nations, António Guterres, has decried the increasing attacks on schools across various countries, urging leaders to ensure the protection of students and teachers.

In a press release on Saturday, which marks the International Day to Protect Education from Attack, Mr Guterres called for a new push to defend vulnerable students and teachers worldwide. 

Mr Guterres said, “Education is not only a fundamental human right, but a pathway to a better future for every person, and a more peaceful, understanding world.”

He stated facts around the globe showed that 224 million children and young people urgently need educational support, including 72 million who are out of school due to armed conflict.

He also stated, “Attacks on students, teachers, educational personnel and schools are becoming all too common, cruelly disrupting young learners’ education, and inflicting untold psychological and physical damage that can last a lifetime.”

The secretary-general stated that there are also 763 million people around the world, including adults and youngsters, who lack basic literacy skills, therefore increasing education deficiency.

Mr Guterres urged all countries to establish measures that will protect schools, children and teachers always through the Safe Schools Declaration and the Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack. He stated that through joint efforts, schools can become “havens of safety and learning for every child, no matter where they live”.

Meanwhile, Mr Guterres had, earlier this year published a report on children and armed conflicts. The report revealed that from January to December 2022, there was a 112 per cent rise in attacks targeting schools and hospitals, with hotspots identified in Afghanistan, Ukraine, Burkina Faso, Israel, Palestine, Myanmar, and Mali. 

Based on the report, 50 per cent of grave violations were attributed to non-state armed groups. For example in Afghanistan,the UN confirmed 95 attacks on civilian targets, including 72 on schools. 

However, the other 50 per cent involved government forces, who were primarily responsible for the gravest offences, including the killing and maiming of children, relentless assaults on schools and hospitals, and obstructing humanitarian access.

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR, a global organisation dedicated to saving lives and protecting the rights of refugees, said on Friday that by the end of 2022, the total number of school-aged refugees globally had increased from 10 million in 2021 to 14.8 million, especially due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

CEO, Olatunji ‘Whitelion’ Adebola

Anti-Corruption

EFCC arrests, arraigns Brookfield Holdings CEO Olatunji Adebola for alleged N1 billion fraud

Brookfield Group Holdings and its CEO, Olatunji Adebola, were arraigned on Thursday before Justice C. Ngozi of the FCT High Court, Maitama Division, on allegations of N990 million fraud.

Diaspora

Nigerian drug trafficker Gideon Olumoyegun convicted in UK, awaits sentencing September 3

The 26-year-old Nigerian and his gang members arrived in the UK on the same flights from Thailand via Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.