Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Waste management challenges  frustrate Lagos’ monthly sanitation 

The Lagos State Government reintroduced the monthly sanitation exercise on April 25, 2026.

• June 27, 2026
Refuse dumps at Apatira, Cash, Alaguntan axis of Alimosho Local Government Area

Some residents of Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State on Saturday expressed frustration over months of uncollected refuse, saying the situation has diminished the impact of the state’s monthly environmental sanitation.

The residents, who spoke in separate interviews during the June sanitation, gave differing views on the initiative, with some questioning its effectiveness and others insisting that keeping their surroundings clean remains a shared responsibility.

The Lagos State Government reintroduced the monthly sanitation exercise on April 25, 2026.

The exercise, held every last Saturday of the month, restricts movement between 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. to encourage residents to clean their surroundings.

It was observed that heaps of refuse littered parts of Alimosho and adjoining communities, with many residents attributing the situation to the prolonged non-collection of waste by Private Sector Participation (PSP) operators.

A resident of the Alaguntan area, Yewande Dada, said residents continued to participate in the exercise, but their efforts were being undermined by the failure to evacuate waste.

She said, “I don’t know why we should continue with monthly sanitation when no one comes to pick up the refuse. For about three months, our waste has remained uncollected even though we pay our waste management bills regularly.

“After clearing the drains and gathering the refuse, scavengers and rainfall scatter everything back into the gutters. Without prompt evacuation of waste, the exercise will continue to lose its purpose.”

Another resident, Daniel Olarenwaju, said overflowing refuse had become a daily reality, leaving many residents unable to enjoy the front of their homes because of the offensive odour.

He said a PSP truck recently visited his street but could evacuate refuse from only three houses because it had already reached capacity.

“I even offered the workers drinks to encourage them, but they simply couldn’t take any more waste because the truck was full. The government needs to act quickly before we are overwhelmed by this refuse,” he said.

However, another resident, Ehi Osasuyi, said residents should not abandon the exercise because of the waste collection challenges.

According to him, maintaining a clean environment is a personal responsibility that helps prevent disease.

“I watched the commissioner for environment reaffirm the government’s commitment to resolving the waste collection problem.

“I believe efforts are being made, but residents must also play their part if we want to protect our families from sickness. We are not defending the government; we are simply doing our best to keep our environment clean,” he said.

The different views reflect the dilemma facing many Lagos communities, where residents continue to sweep streets and clear drains each month, hoping that regular waste evacuation will eventually match their efforts. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ondo governor signing document

Rights

Strike continues until Gov Aiyedatiwa meets our demands: AAUA-ASUU

ASUU branch of the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko branch, says it will continue its ongoing indefinite strike until the Ondo government meets its demands.

Cartons of tiles

States

Driver sentenced to years in prison for stealing tiles

The Kaduna Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday sentenced a driver, Edward Isaac, to two years’ imprisonment for stealing cartons of floor tiles worth N880,000.

Isa Mohammed Ashiru and Uba Sani

Politics

Ashiru needs lesson in education funding: Kaduna Govt

For three consecutive years, Governor Uba Sani has committed about one-quarter of Kaduna State’s annual budget to education.

Rilwan Akiolu

Lagos

Police arrest self-proclaimed Olu of Ikeja in Lagos

The police command in Lagos has detained a man for parading himself as the Olu of Ikeja and impersonating a traditional ruler without lawful authority.

Anti-Corruption

Prolific Chinese money launderer sentenced to years in U.S. prison

Mr Lu also served as a manager for the CMLO. He coordinated directly with U.S.-based drug traffickers and dispatched other couriers to pick up and deposit bulk cash.

President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan (Credit: Financial Times)

Economy

UAE suspends trade, financial transactions with Iran

The UAE has halted all trade, commercial exchange and financial transactions with Iran after the latter attacked several UAE-owned tankers and rejected new talks with the U.S.