Thursday, August 20, 2026

YouTube offers millions of dollars to creators to edge out Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix.

• August 20, 2026
YouTube, Netflix
YouTube, Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix as competition for creator-driven content escalates.

YouTube is offering creators the money to avoid working with Netflix, Bloomberg reported Thursday, citing sources familiar with the matter. YouTube reportedly asked the creators to upload videos to their channels for a specific period. The report did not specify the time frame.

According to the outlet, the financial incentives would come in different forms, including YouTube funding some content and allocating portions of major brand deals to creators.

It reported that the deals had not yet been finalised, but YouTube and some creators were close to reaching agreements.

Business Insider also reported that YouTube was in talks with “a handful” of creators and that no deadline had been set to finalise the agreements, with one offer reportedly worth “in the millions” in exchange for exclusivity on the video platform.

YouTube has not responded to Peoples Gazette’s inquiry on the alleged offers.

The move comes amid Netflix’s growing efforts to secure content from top creators and licence it on its platform. This further expands competition with YouTube for creator-driven audiences.

Netflix, known primarily for acquiring films and television shows, integrated a podcast section into its streaming app in 2026.

It also signed deals with ‘The Bill Simmons Podcast’ and ‘The Breakfast Club’. Both shows were available on YouTube, but under agreements with the creators, Netflix required that they be removed from YouTube.

It has also licensed content from Ms Rachel and Salish Matter, whose content appears on Netflix and YouTube.

“We want to be in business with the best creators on the planet, wherever they are,” Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said earlier this year.

Mr Sarandos had also insisted that Netflix was superior to YouTube, saying, “I think we’re a better monetisation model.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

ASUU logo Kaduna and Governor Uba Sani.

Heading 2

ASUU commends Kaduna govt for funding, tackling KASU’s challenges

Mr Abdullahi also urged the government to implement the new Federal Government-ASUU agreement

Stash of seized narcotics, UK officers

Diaspora

UK arrests, charges Nigerian Oladipupo Atandare, Latifat Yusuf for drug trafficking  

They will be arraigned before Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 7. They were first arraigned at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on August 8, after their arrest on August 5.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

Africa

Studies examine if existing vaccines can protect against Bundibugyo Ebola virus

Mr Hatchett said, ““The studies come as health authorities consider how best to use available vaccines in response to the Bundibugyo outbreak.”

States

Soldiers raid Plateau forests for cattle rustlers, recover AK-47 rifles, other weapons

The army stated that troops employed drones and other surveillance capabilities to conduct extensive reconnaissance across surrounding settlements.

Courtroom

Abuja

Abuja security guard arraigned over alleged theft of employer’s blocks worth N987,500

The Prosecutor, Charity Nwachukwu, told the court that the complainant, Usman Johnson of FHA Lugbe Airport Road, reported the matter at the Karmo Police Station on August 5.