Monday, August 17, 2026

Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention

“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.

• August 17, 2026
Adeleke shaking hands with Tinubu
Adeleke with Tinubu

Governor Ademola Adeleke said he has directed the Osun State Attorney-General to withdraw his administration’s suit against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the recent freezing of the state government account.

The governor, who was re-elected to serve another four-year term on Saturday, cited President Bola Tinubu’s intervention as the basis for his withdrawal.

Mr Adeleke disclosed this on Sunday in an interview with Channels TV.

“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke explained. “Most of these things, the president doesn’t know. The president has a lot of foreign work and jobs to do.”

The re-elected governor alleged that former Governor Gboyega Oyetola was behind the EFCC’s move to freeze the Osun government statutory bank account.

“All these things are Oyetola because he is the cousin to the president. He is dropping the president’s name. I know that the president didn’t know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it,” Mr Adeleke stated.

On August 5, Mr Adeleke decried a plot by the EFCC to freeze Osun’s accounts days before the election.

“The plot to freeze the state government accounts is meant to paralyse government activities ahead of the August 15th governorship election,” Mr Adeleke alleged.

The anti-corruption agency placed a post-no-debit on the state’s statutory allocation account, barely 10 days to the governorship election. The agency, in its defence, said the move was triggered by the need to safeguard public funds from looting.

“The commission noticed huge transfers of funds into different corporate entities and had to swiftly halt the trend by freezing the accounts from which such heavy funds are being moved,” the agency’s spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, disclosed.

On August 6, Mr Tinubu said he was “deeply embarrassed not by the EFCC’s exercise of its mandate backed by a court order, but by the timing of the agency’s action.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

Troops with rescued victims

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

States

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Makinde congratulates Adeleke

Politics

Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections

The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

Lagos

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

Fubara speaking with Wike

States

Wike-sanctioned Rainbow coalition pledges inclusive Rivers reconciliation

The reconciliation efforts aim to restore political harmony among stakeholders while fostering unity, progress and development across Rivers.