Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Afghan women desperate to escape Taliban rule: UN

Many Afghan women are desperate to leave. However, only a fraction will succeed, leaving millions at the mercy of the Taliban.

• September 4, 2021

Melissa Fleming, head of communications and chief spokesperson for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), says with the return of Taliban rule to Afghanistan, many Afghan women are desperate to leave the country.

“Fearing a return to the dark days, many Afghan women are desperate to leave. Only a fraction will succeed, leaving millions at the mercy of the new regime,” Ms Fleming said.

Ms Fleming, who stated this on Friday in an article titled Why we will continue to press for educating Afghan girls said the dreams of millions of Afghan girls could be in jeopardy due to the recent takeover by the Taliban.

She said that Afghan girls’ access to education will be adopted as a key indicator in assessing the Taliban commitment to human rights.

“The Taliban has made statements in recent days pledging to uphold the rights of women to work and of girls to go to school. The world is watching closely.

“Girls’ access to all levels of education will be taken as a key indicator of the Taliban’s commitment to human rights. And as UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet has warned, those and other hard-won women’s rights are “fundamental red lines,” not to be crossed,” she said.

Reflecting on the misrule of the Taliban government between 1996 and 2001, when women and girls were denied education, the UN spokeswoman said the world could not afford to have an Afghan government that would ban girls and women from studying.

She restated the United Nations commitment not to stop supporting Afghan girls’ education, one that has been on for over a decade since 2004 when a new constitution laid down the right to free education for all citizens, women inclusive.

However, after the Taliban ousted the government of President Ashraf Ghani, uncertainty has continued to surround the continuance of education of the Afghan girl child.

Recall that Afghan athlete Zakia Khudadadi in August said she felt imprisoned after the country’s paralympic committee said there was no chance for her and another female athlete to participate at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

Ms Khadadadi would have been her country’s first female competitor at a Paralympic Game.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.