Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Afghanistan: UN Security Council wants Taliban to create safe passage for people to leave

The UN is demanding that the Taliban allow people to leave for whatever reason, whenever they want, by air or by land.

• August 30, 2021
United Nations Security Council
United Nations Security Council [Photo credit: CFR]

The United Nations Security Council has asked the Taliban fighters to create a safe passage zone for Afghans and foreign nationals seeking to leave Afghanistan.

Linda Thomas-Greenfield, U.S. Representative to the United Nations in a statement on Monday shortly after the adoption of a UN Security Council Resolution on Afghanistan disclosed that three clear expectations were established in the UNSC resolution.

The U.S. rep in her statement said that the UNSC expects the Taliban to facilitate safe passage for individuals wanting to leave the war-torn country, adding that everybody must be allowed to leave whenever they want to.

“First, the Security Council expects the Taliban to live up to its commitment to facilitate safe passage for Afghans and foreign nationals who want to leave Afghanistan, whether it’s today, tomorrow, or after August 31.

“Consistent with the right to leave any country, including one’s own, everybody must be allowed to safely leave Afghanistan, for whatever reason, whenever they want, by air or by land. This is of the utmost importance to us,” Ms Thomas-Greenfield said.

Reiterating its commitment to assist those that want to remain in Afghanistan, the UNSC emphasized the need to facilitate humanitarian assistance, adding that humanitarian actors must be given full, safe, and unhindered access to continue service delivery to those in need.

The council further stressed the need to tackle the serious threat of terrorism in the country, warning that rights of Afghanistan’s people, including its women, girls, and minorities must be respected.

Recall that NATO secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg had earlier called on the Taliban to facilitate the departure of all those who want to leave Afghanistan, and said the Western defence alliance has agreed to send additional evacuation planes to Kabul.

The call followed the two rapid explosions in Kabul that left 13 American Marines dead.

The attack occurred hours after the British intelligence warned of a credible threat of attack at the airport, which has seen an unprecedented upsurge in travellers as foreigners and Afghans scamper to leave the country in the wake of Taliban takeover.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.