Tuesday, August 18, 2026

AnambraDecides: INEC begins training, assures safety of electoral officers

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, says it will commence the training of presiding officers and assistant presiding officers on October 19.

• October 14, 2021

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, says it will commence the training of presiding officers and assistant presiding officers on October 19.

Making this disclosure during an interview with Arise TV on Thursday, the commission’s spokesman Festus Okoye said that postponing the Anambra governorship election was not an option.

“On the 19th day of this month, we will begin the training of the presiding officers and assistant presiding officers. So as far as this commission is concerned we are moving ahead with this election, postponing is not an option, because the option of postponement may lead to very grave constitutional consequences,” he said.

The commissioner disclosed that the commission had trained electoral officers, assistant electoral officers and security agencies that will be cascading the training to lower levels.

Adding that INEC was working with security agencies to ensure that security agencies are deployed professionally to protect all ad-hoc staff, election materials and voters.

Mr Okoye disclosed that the non-sensitive materials destroyed during the attack on the commission’s headquarters in Awka had already been replaced and were being moved to the local government areas. 

“The non-sensitive materials have already been moved again back to Awka. We mopped some of them up from our zonal stores and the ones that have to be replaced afresh, we have replaced them. Some of these facilities (the non-sensitive materials ) have already been batched and are already being moved to the local government areas preparatory to being deployed to the registration areas,” Mr Okoye said.

INEC’s assurance of safety comes as unknown gunmen continue to exacerbate the security situation in the state.

Already, the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has revealed that the election security would revolve around the Police Mobile Force who he charged to be apolitical and firm in their operations during the exercise.

In a similar vein, the Nigerian Army said it had mapped out strategies to ensure that residents of Anambra enjoy peace and security before, during, and after the governorship election scheduled to hold on November 6.

Major-General Taoreed Lagbaja, General Officer Commanding 82 Division, Nigerian Army, Enugu, said the army would also ensure the safety of corps members on electoral duties.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.