Despite certificate forgery scandal, Tinubu says Supreme Court judgment ends his media trial

Despite his certificate forgery scandal, President Bola Tinubu on Thursday said the Supreme Court’s judgment affirming his electoral victory would stop “media trials, lies and shenanigans” against his person.
“The judgement of the Supreme Court put an end to the shenanigans, put a stop to innuendos, lies, trials in the media and public space,” Mr Tinubu said in an interview with state-owned television, NTA on Thursday.
The apex court on Thursday affirmed Mr Tinubu’s victory, rejecting fresh evidence of certificate forgery tendered before it by Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party.
The court said Mr Abubakar did not include forgery in his case at the tribunal and that the apex court will not take fresh evidence not tendered within 180 days of the tribunal.
“Facts and matters that were not rendered in the tribunal have no place in the appeal,” Justice John Okoro ruled, adding, “A petitioner shall not be allowed to introduce new evidence in an appeal.”
Though the Supreme Court affirmed Mr Tinubu’s electoral victory, the judgement did not clear Mr Tinubu’s forgery scandal as Nigerians rejected him as their president, berating him as a certificate forger on social media.
In an X post, Aisha Yesufu, an activist, said, “Let me repeat, Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not my President.”
Also, @shehusky said, “I don’t care about the Supreme Court ruling. It doesn’t change the fact that Tinubu did not win the last presidential election. It doesn’t change the fact that he’s not qualified to contest the election.”
Another user, @NigeriaRenew, said, “Bola Ahmed Tinubu did NOT WIN the February 2023 presidential election. You know this; I know this. The Supreme Court can’t rewrite the history of what happened that day.”
In August, before the tribunal’s verdict, Mr Abubakar approached the U.S. court to compel Chicago State University to release Mr Tinubu’s academic record, which has been controversial and shrouded in secrecy for decades.
Last month, the U.S.-based institution, in a deposition, revealed Mr Tinubu presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
CSU’s deposition sparked reactions amongst Nigerians, with many calling for President Tinubu’s ouster in line with Nigeria’s Constitution.
Section 137 (1)(j) of the 1999 Constitution (amended in 2010) states that no one would be legitimately elected president of Nigeria if the person “has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
NDLEA intercepts 184.50 kilograms of cocaine, nabs cartel leader Afolabi Michael ‘KC Luxury’
The NDLEA said KC Luxury parades “as a social media influencer and businessman dealing in gold, jewellery, and luxury goods.”

Heading 5
Police apprehend two suspected members of Ogun ‘one chance’ syndicate
Mr Babaseyi stated, “Efforts are currently being intensified by operatives to track down and apprehend other fleeing members of the syndicate.”

Lagos
APC chieftain seeks centralisation of party campaign structure
Mr Sewedo said that there were too many independent campaign groups under the APC.

Africa
Outages: Libya replaces state-owned electricity firm board of directors
The development comes as Libya faces repeated partial and total power grid collapses.

Lagos
NDLEA intercepts 184.5kg cocaine from Lagos courier firm, nabs two suspects
Mr Marwa said the seizure further exposed Nigeria’s use as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for foreign countries.

States
54-year-old Ibadan man arraigned for allegedly stealing five goats worth N300,000
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.






