EndSARS sympathisers should ‘snap out’ of Lekki Tollgate massacre: Sanwo-Olu

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has told #EndSARS sympathisers to “snap out” of the Lekki tollgate massacre in Lagos.
He stated that the citizens should learn from the experience and become resilient.
“When you say who gave the shooting and all of that, we need to be able to snap out of it, and let’s build back better, and understand that the lessons and the learning of that incident have made us better, more resilient citizens,” Mr Sanwo-Olu said on Naija Info.
The governor said he was not responsible for the military engagement on October 20 at the tollgate.
He added that those who aim to become the state’s governor should stop using divisive words.
“At the end of the day, what happened on October 20? It happened, right? I did not create events or the military engagement there,” Mr Sanwo-Olu said.
The Lagos governor added, “So, the question around, which I find very strange, is when people that are meant to become governor of Lagos state are using words that are dividing us, as against things that should be uniting us.”
He mentioned that the victims involved in the Lekki tollgate state-sanctioned violence had been compensated.
“I have mentioned that everybody that has come out, in any form, to say that they have been injured. I have paid them. Compensations have been given to all of the injured people that have come out,” Mr Sanwo-Olu stressed.
Last December, human rights activist Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa accused Mr Sanwo-Olu of shielding officers of the Nigerian Army that opened fire on unarmed protesters during the #EndSARS protest at the Lekki tollgate.
A month before Mr Adegboruwa’s claim, a group of lawyers who defended #EndSARS protesters in Lagos under the aegis of the New Nigeria Network and the Radical Agenda Movement in the Nigerian Bar Association (RAMINBA) had demanded President Muhammadu Buhari and Mr Sanwo-Olu’s resignation.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph for democracy, defeat for one-party myth: Ex-APC Spokesman
A former APC spokesman for Lagos, Seye Oladejo, described Governor Ademola Adeleke’s re-election in Osun as a democratic triumph.

Politics
55% of Kano’s 1,557 projects completed: Commissioner
The Kano government says it has completed 867 of the 1,557 projects executed by Governor Abba Yusuf’s administration since its inception.

Politics
Davido opposes Adeleke’s support for Tinubu, says ‘evil’ APC killed people over Osun governorship election
“Y’all kept it bloody n lost! Pple died! F**k yall!!,” Davido lashed at APC and its supporters.

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.






